Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

Difference?

Okay guys, so I just want to get a couple of things understood...

I have two engines that came with my truck, both are 4d55t engines however, one has the waste-gated turbo setup and one does not. My truck is a 1985, what was correct for that year? I have tried to find the answer, but I have seen 1985's with both setups.

The other question is this: On my injection pump my fast idle is cable operated and I have another injection pump that has the same bracket setup, but almost every other pickup I have seen has what looks like a vacuum operated fast idle?

Can someone set me straight on this?

Thanks, Kyle

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by diablodude64 View Post
    Okay guys, so I just want to get a couple of things understood...

I have two engines that came with my truck, both are 4d55t engines however, one has the waste-gated turbo setup and one does not. My truck is a 1985, what was correct for that year? I have tried to find the answer, but I have seen 1985's with both setups.

The other question is this: On my injection pump my fast idle is cable operated and I have another injection pump that has the same bracket setup, but almost every other pickup I have seen has what looks like a vacuum operated fast idle?

Can someone set me straight on this?

Thanks, Kyle

There were 3 versions of the 4D55 sold in the Mitsubishi Pickup.

In 1983 the Mitsubishi Pickup was introduced with a 2.3L Turbo Diesel. The engine had a TC05 non-wastegated turbo charger. It made about 10 psi of boost. The head had large injectors and because of this the head was prone to cracking. This engine is rated for 80hp and 125ft lbs of torque.

In 1984-85 the Mitsubishi Pickup was introduced with a 2.3L Turbo Diesel. The bottom end was the same. The engine had a TD04 wastegated turbo charger. It made about 12 psi of boost. The head had small injectors and because of this the head was less prone to cracking than the previous design. This engine is rated for 84hp and 136ft lbs of torque.

In 1984-85 there were 2 versions produced. A federal version and a California version. The California version has an EGR valve for emissions. All of the 4D55 engines in the 1983-85 Mitsubishi Pickups used a cable actuated high idle.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thank you for the relply and the awesome information. This was exactly what I was looking for.

~Kyle