Status
    San Antonio
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge D-50
    Engine

6G72

Another 6g72 Question

[top]

I am new here and I have dug into the threads by doing a few searches and browsing. I do not see many threads come up on this subject so first I apologize if I missed it.
    Now on to the questions. I have a newly rebuilt 6g72 na with stage 3 cams from my dodge stealth I would like to put into a d-50 or mighty frame. I found a d050 not running for 350$ and get a nice beefy truck for burning up the strip. Straight forward swap?
    Second question can I pick up a vr4 trans-axle and fords rear end, and make it 4x4 or I need to stay with the stock transmission and go rear wheel drive? Maybe I am totally clueless here with my ambitions? Please don't rip me up but honest opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    The 90+ trucks only came with the v6 in 4wd config. so theres no problem there in making he truck 4wd.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I've seen a few 6GXX swaps in these, but I never really dug into the threads to read them. The swap is possible, of course (any swap is technically), but there are a few mods you will need to make in order for the cooling system, intake manifold, and tubos (for boosted swaps) to face the opposite direction.

The Stealth and 3KGT engines are transverse (sideways), while the trucks are not. If you want to swap into a 2WD, you will have to source a transmission from a 2WD V6 Montero Sport or find a way to swap bell housings to another trans.

If you want AWD like the VR-4, you will need to construct a tube chassis to adapt the front suspension and steering of the VR-4 to the D50, and you will need to mount the engine transverse as it is in the VR-4. You can use the Ford rear all day long as long as the gear ratio's match the transaxle of the VR-4 (if you do an AWD swap). 4WD is different than AWD. If you want 4WD, then use a 4WD Mitsu truck as your base for the swap (not a 2WD).

If you want to stay 2WD, you can just swap the Ford rear in or keep a Mitsu one, but you still need a transmission that will match the engine.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    The "short block" is apparently identical on all those engines, SOHC (trucks, minivans etc), dohc Stealth & VR4 or twin turbo VR4/stealth! I sold mine with almost 500,000 miles, burning NO oil, running perfect (after 2 trans rebuilds from towing a 580 C Case backhoe and large 29 foot boats (STAMAS Family Fisherman) 6500+ lbs on trailer...its ENTIRE life!! Was gonna turbo mine, but didn't find management I could tune(and trust)!
    UNREAL capacity and "overhead" built in these trucks...