Thread: 89 D-50 Love it but it has orginal suspension and it is bad.Help Me please Love myD50

Array
    Status
    North Smithfield,Rhode Island
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

89 D-50 Love it but it has orginal suspension and it is bad.Help Me please Love myD50

I am having suspension problems on a 1989 d50 2 wheels drive manual 2.6 liter. the truck is great but the suspension is shot. What would be a good suspension to put on it. I want the truck to last moter runs great and has plenty of life on it so whatever I can do to make her a nice smooth ride that can handle some bumbs it would be great for anyones help !!!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Photos of the suspension you have would be helpful, so we can see the condition it's in. Also, there are three basic schools of thought on the forum: lower, stock, and lift. So it's a matter of personal preferrence, sort of. Mine is stock suspension, and replacement parts are available fairly easily. Getting into lowering or lifting can get pricey, from what I've seen.

New shock absorbers all around makes a huge difference on these trucks, especially if you are riding on the original factory shocks, which are probably not any good. I'd recommend you start there (new shocks) and see what the results are.
    Last edited by royster; 02-05-2014 at 07:28 AM.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    blackwood, nj
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Check the condition of the lower control arm bushings. They are know to go bad. Also check your ball joints, sway bar links and bushings, tie rod ends and idler arms. And like royster said new shocks would probably help. If there is oil on your shocks then there definetly bad. Do the bounce test, when you bounce it the truck should go down then come back up. If it does more then that then there probably beat.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Co-sign on the above and upgrading to all Energy Suspension poly bushings can make it feel better than new.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    x3 on all the advice - any vehicle that are the age of these trucks need the "shotgun" approach to just replace it all unless you have proof it has been replaced recently. Its the same approach I intend to follow on the 86 project truck and the 89 long bed for my Dad.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thank you so much. I am looking to put aftermarket shocks so it can handle a heavy load. What would you recommend. And also how do I upload photos so you can see. And thank you for your response, love my truck and glad there is people out there to help and know what there doing.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thank you to you all this is great that you guys reply. I will be asking about many other things to come looking to fully restore this truck. Just wondering how to upload pics so you guys can see the truck. Thanks again to everyone. D50 nation !!!!!!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightyjames401 View Post
    Just wondering how to upload pics so you guys can see the truck. Thanks again to everyone. D50 nation !!!!!!
    Couple ways to do that: one is to click on the Gallery, and you can create a photo album. The other is in the "reply" tool bar...click on the picture icon (4th from the right) and it allows you the option of downloading from your computer or a website.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.