Array
    Status
    mckinleyville Ca
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63

Engine starts then idles up and down then dies

I have an 11/89 dodge ram 50 2.4 about 155000 miles. While driving about a month ago I heard the fuel injection main relay start clicking rapidly, the engine light came on and the engine finally died and wouldn't restart. After about 15 minutes it started up but the same thing happened and it died. Had it towed home and an hour later it started up and ran. I bought a fuel filter and changed it started it up and a few minutes later the same happened and it died. A friend looked at it and tested the distributor and thought it was bad- replaced the distributor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Started it up played with the timing a little and it ran pretty good at idle. For a little over 2 minutes then idle would race up and down for about 10 sec then same clicking noise, engine dies. Had power to both sides of coil with the key on but intermittent spark. Replaced coil- same problem I'm thinking ECM or main injector relay but I am not sure how to test- no book any help would be much appreciated Thanks

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Did you happen to inspect the old fuel filter? As with another recent post, it may be the strainer in the fuel tank is getting clogged up and causing the pump to shut down.

As for your other requests, I'll leave that to the experts on the forum. You definitely need a book for the truck, do get one when you can...though I find the book doesn't always help, it does provide tests (was just reading about them).
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    mckinleyville Ca
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    I took the ecm out and I think I found a bad spot on it. Looking for the cheapest reman I can find now.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    I have been very happy with Foreign Auto Computer Repair in Zephyrhills, FL. They were recommended to me by a Mitsu specialty shop who has used them for years. Send it priority mail and its back within the week.
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)