Array
    Status
    Winston Salem N.C.
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Bad Smoking After Replacing Timing Belt

Hello Everyone, I am confused. I put a timing belt kit in my 1988 2.0 MM two days ago. I went out in it today and it is smoking really bad at stop lights and clears up some as you give it more gas. It has run fine for the two days after putting the timing belt kit in. I did put a new value cover gasket on it the same day I replaced the belt. The smoke is coming out the exhaust tale pipe and not a leak on the engine. I checked the choke to make sure it was not stuck. I just put a new weber carb on it this past summer. The truck has been running fine but it had 90,000 on it and I thought I would replace the timing belt because it had 80,000 on it when I bought it and I did not know the history of the truck. I noticed when I took the value cover off there were some kind of adjustment next to each intake value and not on the exhaust value,What are these adjustment for? Can anyone tell me what they think is causing this smoking. Thanks in advance!!!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    some kind of adjustment next to each intake value and not on the exhaust value,What are these adjustment for?
    Hello Panrider.
    If I'm correct, those are not adjustments, per se, but the jet valves of the 2.0 engine. They are troublesome, from what I hear from those who've had to deal with them. They're a tiny, extra intake valve, intended to cause a swirling affect in the combustion chamber.

I'm no expert on any of these engines, but I've had a crash-course in the past month by having to replace a timing belt that stripped. You can look through some of my posts HERE and maybe get some idea about your own engine.

I didn't find the heart of the problem for my truck's smoking until I got the head off of the block. It was two valve guides that had dropped down. Thus affecting the valves seals. Yours' might be as simple as valve seals: I am not sure what typical mileage it is when they go bad.

Hope this is of some assistance.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Winston Salem N.C.
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the reply royster, I am will go back at look at you post! I drove my truck in one night running fine and the next day it started smoking live crazy. I hope I don't have a cracked head.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I had a Dodge Caravan (1988) that smoked at idle when at operating temperature. That was also a Mitsubishi engine, and they were known for the valve guides/seals going bad.

With 90,000 miles on your truck, I'd look into replacing the valve seals. It can be done without taking the head off. I'm not sure what to suggest to test for the seals...perhaps one of the experts knows a trick.

And I, too, hope you're not contending with a cracked head.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Winston Salem N.C.
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Well I think it is going to warm up to around 30 degrees tomorrow and I work outside on my cars, My other ride is a 29 ford and I hate to drive it but I might have to until I get the MM fix!!!