Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

Let the Rebuild Begin!

Hey everyone, so as I said in my last post, I am rebuilding the 4d55 engine for my truck. I pulled the engine in a pretty short amount of time, probably less then an hour but who's counting right? Love the older rigs with very little extra to take up space!

Of course we had sunny weather for the past 2 weeks and all of a sudden it starts snowing for a few days and is also 20 degrees... It's actually the most snow we have had in this area in a long time!

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking:

As it sits, in all of its glory...

Starting on the passenger side.

With the Head off:

Oil pan removed. Started getting a little worried here because there was quite a bit of metal in the bottom and on the pickup when I first took it off. You'll see why...

One of the reasons for the metal in the pan: This is the number 4 rod journal.

Here is the 3rd rod journal: The rest looked great.

I tried to get a good shot of the lip at the top of the bore, it's pretty big. Also, every one of the pistons had a broken ring. I don't know if that is from removal over the lip or what, but the wear plus or minus the rings is definitely why the compression was less then 100 psi per cylinder. The lip is big enough to get your nail stuck easily.

Knowing that my crank is probably going to have to be turned to be used, I decided to pull apart my spare block. The spare block came with the truck, but was seized up. Well, I unseized it, and I think I will clean this block up and as long as the cylinders can be cleaned, I will use this block. There is literally no lip at all at the top, and the bearings actually looked brand new as if someone put it together and then never ran it. So, everything will get replaced for peace of mind, but just thought it was interesting.

Here are the pistons/rods from the seized block. Also forgot to mention that, on the 3rd rod from my main block, the bearing was seized to the rod cap and had turned itself so that it was out of the normal configuration if that makes sense...

It looks ugly now, but I should be able to clean this block up really nicely. I noticed it also has a block heater, where my other block did not.

More pictures to come. For now I am going to get everything as clean as possible to make some good measurements and then finally get everything ordered to get this thing on the road again! I spoke with Mike Warme a few weeks ago and I am going to be buying the parts from him. I have not heard back from him in a while, so if you are reading this Mike, I am finally ready to go!

Any advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated throughout this build. Also, if anyone has the adapter setup or can recommend something that works for setting the proper timing on the injection pump, that would be great!

~Kyle

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    awesome start! cant wait to see this progress

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Seems there is always one part of the engine that gets a bunch of wear marks, never fails. Looks like your pistons have also worked very hard with scuffed cylinders and you mentioned broken rings. I hope all goes good for you on the build. Make sure you run the proper oils on the first start so it will last for many miles.
    Keep us posted with your status, we all like the happy endings.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    That's not bad... this is how my last one started

New Block 001.jpg

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    I think you are right BradMph. Every engine I have ever done had some sort of weak link. I am currently waiting on a call from Mike Warme about the parts and then when those get in it will be off to the machine shop, and then we start the fun stuff!

~Kyle

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    LSR Mike, were you able to complete your build? Any tips or suggestions that you learned along the way?

~Kyle

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by diablodude64 View Post
    I think you are right BradMph. Every engine I have ever done had some sort of weak link. I am currently waiting on a call from Mike Warme about the parts and then when those get in it will be off to the machine shop, and then we start the fun stuff!

~Kyle
    I have been waiting on Warme since October.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    I talked to Mike yesterday and brought some of my parts in to the machine shop. I have to take a few more measurements and then it will just be waiting for parts.

Kyle

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by diablodude64 View Post
    I talked to Mike yesterday and brought some of my parts in to the machine shop. I have to take a few more measurements and then it will just be waiting for parts.

Kyle
    How did the little brown truck look? I am flying in to pick it up on Friday.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D55 Performance View Post
    The truck looked decent, has a few things that I'll need to take care of but otherwise it is pretty solid. You're flying in to pick up a truck where?

Kyle

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Alright everyone, it has been too long and an update is due.

SO, I received some of the parts so far and everything needing machining or cleaning is at the machine shop. One of the boxes of parts, I am told, was damaged during shipping so the shipping company returned it. Mike Warme has been awesome too work with, and of course re-sent everything right away, including a set of 0.040 pistons. Originally I had ordered the 0.030 pistons, but unfortunately the cylinder bores wouldn't clean up at 0.030 so the 0.040's will be needed.

As soon as the parts arrive I will be headed to the machine shop to finish everything up. I cannot wait to get this thing back together! Actually, I have trip planned for the engine break-in so I don't have much choice but to get it going in the next couple weeks!

Here are a few more pics:

I cleaned up the rusty block as much as I could before brining it in.

Here are the pistons that I removed from the seized block. One ring from each was broken... Everything else was perfect!

Here is the first installment of parts:

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Gawd I hate shipping companies. They bust your stuff up, cost you money, they ship it back, cost you the shipping fees, then they blame it on packaging which their own package inspectors rate the package and always give a fail rating. This kills the automatic insurance of damages and your out a pocket full.
    I hope your experience has been better then mine with....what's that doing back at my house so early surprises.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    How much did this kit cost you?

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel mightymax View Post
    How much did this kit cost you?
    I think I am in at just under a grand right now.

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    did you get all parts from mike? what is that big peice of cast?? timing plate or water pump??? :S

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    When you first posted this I thought you were referring to the truck I just picked up, as it is also a little brown truck! I saw your video the other day, and I am assuming that is the one you were actually referring to. In which case, that thing looks pristine man!

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by coyotefiveoh View Post
    did you get all parts from mike? what is that big peice of cast?? timing plate or water pump??? :S
    I have some of the parts. The last box should finally be here today! Then I can finally put this thing together and get you guys some updates! That big piece of cast in the lot of new parts is the oil pump assembly.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    where did you get your machining done at? Im also in Portland.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    The machine shop is B&M Engine Services off of 77th. Everything looks good so far that I have picked up. I am now just waiting on the block and they said that should be done tomorrow most likely!

Kyle

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Turns out the first block had two cracks in the cylinder liners, so I had to bring the second block in and this one looks promising (crossing my fingers). Also, the head I brought it won't clean up without taking too much off, so I am bringing in my second head and also crossing my fingers that it is good....

Holy crap, I have never had this much difficulty in any of my past builds. Does anyone local or close to Portland Oregon happen to have any spare blocks or heads that you wouldn't mind selling? Feel free to text or call me at 541.324.4278 if you do. It's pretty urgent so you know i'm serious!

~Kyle

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    There was one in Oregon city a couple days ago on Craig's.

I can't find it now.

Good luck with the second block!

Ill let you know if i find anything.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    I have been waiting on Warme since October.
    I'm still waiting on you Spencer. Do you need to take a math class??

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Okay everyone, it's been a little while so here is an update. So everything went well with the original block and head of course... It only took 3 weeks to figure that out!

Block back on the engine stand ready to go back together!

Painted:

Nice cross-hatch in those bores:

Bottom end almost complete:

Pistons and rods installed:

Oil Pump installed:

Front assembled:

Ready for the head:

Head assembled and ready to go on the block:

Oil pan painted and installed:

Timed and ready to go in the truck:

I'll get a video of it running so that you don't feel left out!

As it stands, I got everything back from the shop around 6pm and had the engine 95% complete by 2am and the next day I had it in the truck and running by noon! It started up and ran awesome! I have just under 800 miles on the truck now and so far the only issue I have is the glow plugs that I bought a couple months back are bad. Also, I have a small oil leak from the oil pan but will take care of that this coming weekend.

I drove from Portland to Medford Oregon and got just under 40 miles to the gallon. Totally insane! I did a quick city mileage test and was getting 26 miles to the gallon. This seems crazy for a 4x4 but, I won't complain!

Kyle

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Looks great! Mind me asking how much you budgeted for the rebuild?

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Thank you! I don't mind. I did everything except the machining. But the breakdown is as follows:

Machine Shop: $395
    Engine Rebuild Parts: about $800
    Clutch: $80.41

So a grand total of about $1,275.41

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast