Thread: Auto trans vs 5 spped can it hang with a turbo engine and 4x4?

Array
    Status
    Central california
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B-T

Auto trans vs 5 spped can it hang with a turbo engine and 4x4?

Hi everyone, So this is my first post, I will have to say I like the site seems to have some good info and cool people.
    So here is my 1000$ question, I have a 87 montero that has a starion 2.6 Fi turbo engine, I did the swap 6 yrs ago and had very few minor problems but nothing major. This montero came stock with a 4 speed At tranny and very week 2.6 carb engine.
    I like my starion motor but now have moved on to bigger things such as my freshly built 4g64 DOHC project.
    It has been 14 months in the making but now sits on a stand waiting to go in. I have some decent mods done such as mild port job on the head and 52 trim bullseye turbo to name a few.
    I was told that the 5 speed trans will not hold up and has OD problems under boost, So I came here for advice. What would you do?
    I want a 5 speed for a few reasons, One its fun to drive and two way less crap that can go wrong, Oh and I can push-start the beast if I needed too.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    There's a lot of information on transmission options here: http://projectzerog.com/transmissions.shtml

What are you planning on doing with the old Starion motor?