Thread: Diesel burning oil

Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA

Diesel burning oil

I know they're called oil-burners... but we've got a sizable amount of blue smoke puffing out the tailpipe. It does not happen at idle, rarely happens when taking off, but usually when cruising or letting off the accelerator. At the suggestion of a mechanic who pointed to the valve seals, I poured in a bottle of ATP-205 oil seal conditioner. Any experience with this stuff? How long is it supposed to take to work?

I see that valve seals appear to be available, but piston rings do not. Any suggestions which is more likely to be at fault? Where could I get rings?

This is an 83 Dodge Ram 50 Sport, 4x4 manual that we're considering buying (for $1800 or so). Apart from the burning and some electrical gremlins, it's a running, driving truck that on paper is exactly what we need. Not a lot of little diesel 4x4's on this side of the pond, so generally, I'm willing to put in extra work to make it run at 100%. I'd just like a better idea of what and how much work that's going to be...

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The only way to fix that is to replace the valve seals. They just get hard over time.

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    So you think it's the valve guides? Any tests I could do to be sure?

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    check your turbo. These turbos didn't last long at all before they let lots of oil into the intake!

Array
    Status
    AR
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Mike trying to get in touch with you.

Mike
    Bosn here, still waiting for some info on the turbo?

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Huh. Didn't think this thread would make it through the board remodeling. Anyway...

Replaced the valve guides. Didn't do a damn thing. But when I replaced the thermostat a few days later, during the bleeding warmup I observed that the burning only happens when the engine is revved with no load, or shortly after idling/running with no load. Climb a hill and it's clean. Descend a hill, and it starts puffing.

I'm thinking the bottom end is bad, but I've been advised to check the turbo. I just got two spare engines and a total of four spare turbos (at least two of which are the later wastegate-type), so there's some hope left...