Array
    Status
    here
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

srt4 swap?

hey, new to the forum but looks like a lot of good information is spread on here. just had a thought and tried using the search bar but didn't really find anything. has anyone ever tried doing an srt4 2.4 liter swap into a d50? I'm not sure what all it would involve to get a transmission and stuff that would fit both the motor and the truck, but I would think someone could figure it out. maybe I am dreaming? maybe there are better, easier swaps available. always just thought the 2.4s were a solid engine?

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome. The srt4 is not what I would call a solid engine. And there are already 2.4L engines in some of the mighty maxs's... If you want a power swap, build a 2.4/2.0 4G family combo or just a 4G63T swap by itself. The srt4 is a fwd, and as far as I know Dodge doesnt make a RWD trans that would fit, so very best of luck to you if you want to do such a thing.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    SRT/4 2.4L is a dodge 420A motor..Not a Mitsubishi 4G64 2.4L 2 completely different engines.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    No one has done it yet, could be done but not worth it IMO. No known RWD tranny to bolt up, and no info on wiring or any of that. Much easier and better to go with the well known and supported 4g63T motor.

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I would agree with the rest of the people that suggest the 4g63t swap. it does not require excessive fabrication. and it will bolt right up to the transmission that is already in a 2.0 truck. it also uses stock motor mounts. The best part of it is that there is tons of aftermarket parts for these motors and of course it makes the truck so fun to drive. the srt4 swap would put you in the hole with limits on aftermarket. you also would have a lot of fabricating to get it done. but this is just my .02 cents if you want the challenge go for it.

Array
    Status
    here
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Well thanks guys, That basically answered all of my thoughts/questions. I guess I get the idea that the dodge engine is good healthy engine when you see 500 and 600 horse builds. i guess i don't know enough about the Mitsubishi stuff to know what they are capable of. thank you all for the info and opinions. basically not feasible or desirable swap when there are easier ones available.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    I know the Dodge 2.2 and 2.4L will bolt up to a 4 cyl First gen Dakota tranny. So you "could" get an old Reliant, Omni, Caravan... etc. 2.2/2.4 Turbo and build them to well over 500hp easy. Now if the new SRT4 2.4 uses the same tranny bolting circle then you're off to the races.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    4g63t from 90's mitsu eclipses/eagle talon/plymouth laser's are capable of 500+ hp on stock block, been done plenty of times.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    It is possible if you use the transmission from the 2004-05 jeep wrangler they came with he 2.4 dohc engine so you can use that transmisson, and if you looking to make more power use that transmission bell housing and bolt up a mk3 supra turbo transmission. I was helping a friend figure out the conversion last year on a wrangler,

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    stay tuned to my 4g64 thread for a coming "srt" swap im a neon guy and so far the 4g64 is nowhere near as reliable or sound of a motor as my neons are so you will see one, just not for a year or two lol

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.ph...5433&start=160 there have been a few different rwd "srt" swaps one was a dohc 2.0 neon motor into a midget but with the liberty/wrangler it gives you a bellhousing and possible trans to bolt in only the jeeps are 4x4 so you would need a 2wd output shaft and tailhousing for either 5 or 6 speed trans which the 6 speed is found in the crossfire so a bellhousing swap would bolt in for a 2.4 turbo 6 speed rwd srt swap and colorado transmissions theres a few options avaliable plus a current lancer srt swap is happening http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=408789 although not a mitsu =]

Array
    Status
    here
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    That is what i was thinking when i posted this thread. I don't know a hole lot about any of the Mitsubishi motors but i have been nothing but impressed by the mopar 2.4! some of you may have different opinions, and most have very good and truthful reasons for them. But I cant get over how far a stock 2.4 can be pushed without disaster. Cant wait to see somebody try to make this swap work.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    i will be doing it but not within the next year unless i hit the lotto(but i dont play) stay tuned to my thread in the 2gn section

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Lol I just don't see the reasoning besides wanting to be different and spend more money. A 4g63t can make 6-700hp+ no problem. Not putting the swap down just saying.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I did a Jeep 2.4 TJ turbo build a few years ago. It was pretty fun but I wouldn't chose that engine for a swap or the SRT variant. Its just not "that well" built. The Liberty 2.4 2WD trans would be the one you need to mate it up easily.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    All I want to do is go Zoom Zoom Zoom, yes that's a Mazda verse, but it fits and I think I have said that atleast once before Mazda stole it, lol.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Worked on a neon srt4. Front of the bay there's lots of room. Rear, not so much. It's seine that the intercooler pipe runs below the engine and in between the engine oil pan and trans like an exhaust would. Car was actually low enough where the pipe actually had damage. Massive amount of boost leaks because of it. And that tsb about the tps wiring harness was actually the first thing I had to read, and follow. It was fast, but kind of annoying with the amount of popping coming out the exhaust. Unless you into that sort of thing lol.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    i LOVE the popping lol its an old mopar thing the big blocks did it back in the day lol and i dont really see a cost difference because with making it a serious dragster its getting a built auto that i would have to build for either engine and a block is cheap to build so i see no real difference i prefer the srt engine i think its more reliable and a lot simpler this mitsu crap confuses the hell out of me and id love to have a REAL dodge ram 50 not a rebadged mitsu

Array
    Status
    nowhere
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    This swap is no mystery. The link posted by redneckmoparman is my build thread. The hardest part of the swap is adapting motor mounts. There are at least three vendors making adapter plates to bolt up automatic transmissions. jmb performance makes an adapter for the B,O,P turbo 350. darrell cox racing makes one for the chevy turo 350/400 and dynamic racing transmissions make one for the 904,727 tourqueflite. And with this adapter you could bolt up an a833 4 speed. Bolt a quicktime bellhousing to it and mat a t56 behind it. The dakota 2.5 bellhousing will bolt up minus one bolt hole, but with some modding that extra bolt can be used. The 01,03 jeep liberty, and tj wrangler bellhousing bolts up with no modifications. With these bellhousings the A535/NP2500,NV3500 supra r154, and MA5 from colorado,canyon,h3,solstice and saturn skye and isuzu AR5 can be used with these bellhousings. Though more expensive you have liberty's 545rfe 5 speed automatic trans. And then liberty's NSG370 six speed manual transmission. Put the eclipse/avenger 420a head on, and this swaps the intake to the passenger side so any factory intake's throttle body faces front and puts turbofold on the drivers side so turbo faces forward. Either modify the the factory pcm harness to your harness, or use something like fast, or megasquirt to get it to go down the road

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Im thinkin regular head and a 420a intake, which should point a drivers intake mani to the front and is this the guy building the lancer then?

Array
    Status
    nowhere
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneckmoparman View Post
    Im thinkin regular head and a 420a intake, which should point a drivers intake mani to the front and is this the guy building the lancer then?
    Yes. Search 420a head on 2.4.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    right on thats awesome you have a D-50 too lol and i know the 420/avenger head im thinking to use a regular head to put the intake on the drivers side and use a eclipse intake manifold that would point the tb at the grill and keep the exhaust on the passenger side to run it where the 50 already has it at instead of fighting the steering and clutch and anything else on that side it would be easier to keep it like stock

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    either that or a custom box intake from a neon manifold

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1979 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B
    LOL, All this Neon talk is getting me going !
    My daily driver is a First Gen. Dodge Neon Sport (98) with the DOHC motor and 5 Speed.
    Had it since New !
    I've some mods done (cold air kit, short throw shifter, stiffer springs, even SRT4 Seats !)
    and people are Always surprised how quick it is !
    138K on it and the little thing just keeps on jammin ! I Love this car !

I actually bought the Arrow truck as it's replacement, cause the little guy isn't going to last forever.
    And since it was a Michigan car, everything, and I mean Everything is rusted to death (and together)
    (under hood and under body ,,, the body itself isn't all that bad actually)
    So when it finally goes, it's not really worth trying to rebuild it. :o(

Sorry for the off topic rant ,,, all the Neon and SRT talk just got to me. LOL

Carry on ,,,

Array
    Status
    nowhere
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by biddens View Post
    hey, new to the forum but looks like a lot of good information is spread on here. just had a thought and tried using the search bar but didn't really find anything. has anyone ever tried doing an srt4 2.4 liter swap into a d50? I'm not sure what all it would involve to get a transmission and stuff that would fit both the motor and the truck, but I would think someone could figure it out. maybe I am dreaming? maybe there are better, easier swaps available. always just thought the 2.4s were a solid engine?

Two ways you can go. Tj wrangler and liberty jeep came with a 2.4. Or early dakota with 2.2 or 2.5. Either bellhousing will hook you up to your srt4. Since your 4wd maybe snag the t case with it just in case you can not adapt yours to the donor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast