Array
    Status
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Cowl vent drain(s)?

Hi all and Happy New Year; I recently drove through the garage door... (long story involving a week in Intensive Care). The door took it a lot worse then the Matchbox Toy did, so the Toy had to sit outside for awhile. When it rained, I got water dripping on the inside tranny hump, but I could not find any sign of a drain on the firewall. It is usually a hole w/ a rubber flap or a tube squeezed together at the low end to keep critters out. Can anyone point me to the drain(s) on a '86 Ram? Thanks and hope you are all staying warm!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hi Grumppa and condolences to the garage door.

When I took the passenger-side fender off my '89 parts truck, there was drainage from the cowl that goes down the inside of that fender through a channel just for draining. I understand this is 2nd generation and yours' is 1st, but it might be a lead for you. I found lots of crap inside the channel, and I'm sure enough could cause some back-filling and accumilate plenty of Jimmy Hoffa Particulate.

Just a suggestion. Hope you're staying warm up there in PA.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks royster... guess I got fixated on the way Detroit does things and should have looked further afield! When we get back to at least double digit temps here in "Eerie" I will scope out the fender. Right now, I am not even working on my Deere because the 186,000 BTU monster I put in can not keep up. Pits is: I really need to polish my SCUBA outfit so I am ready when those icebergs melt. Grumppa

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    That is no fun - Geronimo rolled down my driveway and put me through my garage door 30 years ago - luckily I only ended up with bruises and scrapes because of how the truck hit the door and broke it away from me, then stopped on the debris. I was renting the house and had to replace the door but at least I was in one piece and alive to do it. The carb was bad and the rear brakes were worn out - I had stopped the truck running at the top of the driveway, running and out of gear (5 speed) and walked down to shut the garage door. I closed the door, turned around, and here comes Geronimo - BTW, superman stopping vehicles only happens in the movies. After that I fixed the brakes and bought a Weber carb kit to get rid of the Mikuni carb that had failed - the kit then was $125 vs 650 for a new Mikuni carb. Glad to see you are doing better - the cowl drains are under the rear of the front fenders near the top of the fender - pull the inner fenders out and you will see them clearly.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Turns out I had "dual subdural hematomas" (bleeders between the skull and the brain). I am lucky... if it had been in the brain, that's an anurism and they could not have drilled and drained me. Luckily, I decided to go get dinner out and was with Friends when the big one hit; they called 911.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Glad you're still with us.
    Do you suppose that the condition stems from scuba diving?
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Still waiting for those double digits. This really bites!! Just ordered a battery heater, and am seriously starting to consider a block heater! The Tonka Toy is all I have besides my Honda, it has GOT to start. Never thought about one since I was stationed in Montana in '74.