Thread: Roy's Garage: '90 2.4-4G64 5-spd D-50

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    No such thing as a dumb question, only giving a bad answer (nobody learns anything, other than the victim of bad advice). A genuine mistake is something you've done and not learned from (you've walked away empty handed from the experience). "Beginners mind" has advantages - there's an opportunity to test an untried path, sometimes with results that are inspired genius in disguise. Just stay hungry to learn and don't be an ass about it
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Good stuff, Mr. Geeze !
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Waynesboro, PA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey Roy, it's good to see that your build/restoration has been going well. You have certainly contributed a wealth of knowledge to this forum through your build thread. The truck looks great!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Woo Hoo, thanks a bunch, R50N. Good to see you back. The truck is doing well, but rust is really catching up with it. In a month or two I'll be putting it into the garage and wire-wheeling the frame...the State Inspection people have been frowning on the condtion of the frame, and this year offered subtle suggestions to do something about it.

In other news, I just yesterday put the camper shell back on. The whole rig needs a good wash after this nasty winter.

CHEERS !
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    My rear axles have developed a leak, so it's going to be necessary to replace the seals.

I've never replaced differential oil seals before, though from the instructions in the service manual, it seems a pretty straight forward task. I looked for the replacement parts on RockAuto and it appears they're available.

I would appreciate anyone's knowledge in the matter, and specifics on the size, and possibly part number for the oil seals. ALso, hearing from anyone who has performed this task would be a great help.

Many thanks !!!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if you are changing the seals, you need to change the bearings as well, since the bearings have to come off to change the seals. The bearings are a press on fit, though others have come up with ways to do it without the press, as a pipe to slide down the shaft that contacts the bearing to allow it to be driven onto the shaft.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks a bunch, pennyman - just exactly what I needed to know

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    My Join Date anniversary (two days ago) - 'been here five years. Wow, where does the time go!

As a follow-up, I ended taking the truck to a garage to have the axle seals replaced. They had a real time of it, and apparently there's a retainer clip that was unavailable in the U.S.. Don't ask what that repair cost.

Anyways, thanks to all for 5 years of great information, friendship, and bad jokes

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    I have enjoyed this thread!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I am back to working on the D-50 - the "Check Engine" light has been pestering me. I finally pulled the trouble codes, and it's fairly pedestrian stuff, except the idle servo. RockAuto doesn't offer one, and the engine temperature sending unit (for the ECU) isn't available, either (just the one for the gauge). The oxygen sensor is no biggie.

I've made a lot of progress since my stroke and it's good to be back in the garage. I have more work to do on the truck: it's due up for inspection, this month, and I have some frame rust issues to contend with. Meanwhile, I want to get it running good as I can. Some of the things I replaced 50,000 miles ago are due up for replacement, but HEY! I got 50,000 miles out of the work I put into it at the beginning of this thread!! (I recently had to replace the clutch cable, which broke at precisely the best possible time and place - as I was backing it into my garage!)

Someone had said that these little trucks respond to the love you put into them, and I can testify that they do.

This thread has topped 100,000 views - who'd have thought that?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Never one to give up in the face of adversity It will take time but it's surprising what the human body can do even after experiencing serious trauma. I bet it must feel good to grasp a wrench back in familiar territory.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

I have the D-50 on jack stands in the garage. The rust situation does not look good at all, but I will give a try to do what I can. I really don't think it will pass inspection. The rust in the frame is pretty serious, and one spot is right next to the gas tank. I simply don't have the resources to keep the truck on the road. Whether it passes inspection or not, it's time to put it up for sale.

Miracles happen, folks, and if one comes my way, I'll certainly let you know.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    The rust is too much for me to address, so the truck is going up for sale. I'll post it in the "for sale" section. Just for the record, I will not part it out.

It's the end of a wonderful journey, and the end of this thread. I have no regrets, and I've certainly appreciated being part of this community. I'll stay on, for whatever I can contribute. But my Ram 50 days are nearing an end.

Another adventure waits for us all
    Last edited by royster; 09-21-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sorry to hear Roy, but glad you'll stick around

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Many thanks, Giovanni89. I've been asked to post some photos of the rust, and I'll do that later today. Thanks also to those who PM'd.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

As requested, a few photos of the rust damage. This may not look too bad to some, but the photos don't show the extent of the rust. Also, I was unable to get shots in front of the leaf springs.

100_0654.jpg

The above photo is the passenger side, and the tail pipe can be seen. A piece of framing for my bumper is seen through the rust hole.

100_0652.jpg

Above, the load adjuster for the brakes is detached from its frame mount, due to rust. The bed cross member is shot.

100_0653.jpg

Above, the rust through the bottom of the frame is in several areas, some at crucial points. One is right next to the gas tank, and both sides in front of the leaf spring mounts are rusted through.

100_0651.jpg

Above, the piece of frame you see wedged in there is for my bumper mount. The bungee cord is holding the spare tire chain and mount, to keep it from flopping around.

I went into this with the intention of wire-wheeling things in preparation for welding patches, but in some places, there's nothing to weld TO. The repair would have to necessarily be made with the bed off, and fuel tank removed. In my present condition, this is beyond my doing.

Many areas of the body are rusted, too. though the extra fenders and doors could be used, as they're relatively rust-free.

As regards that bumper I made: I backed into a brick abutment once, so it was well worth the effort to install it - otherwise, the rear end would have suffered some serious damage.
    Last edited by royster; 09-24-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    She's looking pretty nasty. Over here you just couldn't repair it legally, but we have a whole lot of l200 chassis available to swap the body on to. They are quite a popular base for hit rods here. I'd fully recommend buying another, it's way more fun driving one than it is laying under one getting welding slag in your ears. You might swap to an automatic one?

Array
    Status
    Waynesboro, PA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Roy, I've been thinking if you still want to work on the truck, I'm 90 minutes up I-81 from you. I would be willing to donate some time helping you strip the backend to address that rust. I have no experience in welding, but I'm not afraid to tackle a new skill with some initial guidance. I'm offering two hands, if you want to try. Not pressuring if you don't think it can be done. Just laying it out there if the concern is removing the bed, tank, etc...

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    R50N, that is such a kind and generous offer

The problems are a bit deeper, for me: I don't have the time, money or focus for the truck, anymore. October is upon us, and I have tons of stuff to do before winter sets in. My days of working on a project vehicle are over. After 3 heart attacks and a stroke, I'm left fairly weak a lot of the time. Just getting firewood in, this year, is going to be a struggle.

Your offer reflects what a great spirit you have, and I thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Tortron, thanks for the reply. I may find another Ram 50, one never knows. They pop up for sale around here from time to time. But I'm on a tight-squeeze income, so for now, I'm relying on my Dakota (which IS automatic).

Array
    Status
    Waynesboro, PA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Understood. From the pictures it does look like a lot of TLC and fabrication is needed. I definitely thinks it's repairable, and would be nice if someone on the board bought it, and continued posted updates in this thread.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I definitely thinks it's repairable, and would be nice if someone on the board bought it, and continued posted updates in this thread.
    That would be cool, and could happen. One of the problems I have is how remote the area is where I live. As for fixing it myself - I don't have welding equipment. I won't part it out, mainly because it's too much bother to pull and ship parts. Though most of my experiences sending parts (from my parts truck) went well, there were a couple of no-pays. Then, of course, I'd have a dead vehicle to contend with.

It's still drive-able, and I think fixable, but it would take someone with a property to park it on, and a garage to work on it. It's a precarious situation, and we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    About to go into sketchy territory... do they check the frame numbers where you are? A wrecked truck with a solid frame, some elbows and swapping parts - sans welding and cutting. Added bonus is the donor frame can be given a full clean up and health check during reassembly.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    About to go into sketchy territory... do they check the frame numbers where you are? A wrecked truck with a solid frame, some elbows and swapping parts - sans welding and cutting. Added bonus is the donor frame can be given a full clean up and health check during reassembly.
    ^^^
    ????

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I appreciate the thought, Neil, but that is way out of reach, for me. I simply have to let the truck go. By the way, it did go through inspection today, and in fact failed. My next step is to advertise it in the local Trader paper.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    And the step after that is to tell the new owner about MightyRam50
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    I appreciate the thought, Neil, but that is way out of reach, for me. I simply have to let the truck go. By the way, it did go through inspection today, and in fact failed. My next step is to advertise it in the local Trader paper.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast