Thread: Head or H gasket let go yesterday!

Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Head or H gasket let go yesterday!

Hey everyone. Merry Christmas!
    My H gasket let go yesterday (or head cracked somewhere) due to the ex owners not changing antifreeze/coolant. Flushing got it running cooler, but finally just started leaking (or hot spotted between valves etc) and is now skipping and boiling back through new rad, water pump, and thermostat(s)! Arrgh!
    Ordered a top endet ust now, but need some elp rhead if hav o buy a new one WIll lap valv seats and replae the 4 valve seals on the intae while its off as well.

ANy advice while "in there" appreciated. Timng belt, balance belt ad tenshioners wil be done while apart as well..

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I'll be doing a similar tear-down at about the same time you are. We can do a "buddy system" of complaining about knuckle-busting

Though the motor has a lot of miles, I DID clean it real good when I first got the truck, and I intend to use the opportunity to do some caring detail...paint, polish and clean. It really only takes a few moments more and is so worth it for personal satisfaction every time you pop the hood.

This could be a good time to clean the grille off really good. Instead of Armor All, I use mineral oil: it lasts longer on plastic and vinyl. It's dirt cheap, too.

Array
    Status
    Newton Grove, NC
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I had the same problem with my 94 the owner ran it hot and coolant blew back through the radiator. My case was a warped head was able to salvage it with mill work. Take your head off don't mix up the head bolts, remove the rocker arm assembly don't mix bolts, remove valve clips/springs/retainers DO NOT THESE MIX UP you can rent a spring compressor form a auto parts store. I would pressure wash the head get all the carbon, burnt oil off scrape the old gasket off with razor. Examine for cracks, their most commonly found between the in. ex. valves. After that find a good straight edge the length of the head make sure you have no gasket material left on the surface lay on the head I/X/- like so, get a feeler gauge and if 0.05 mm (.0020 in.) will not clear under the straight edge there is no need to mill head your good to go. Repeat the same procedure on the deck of the block as well. To lap the valves get some valve grinding compound dab some on the face of the valve. slide valve back in head get a cordless drill lock it on the stem and slowly lap the valve, after all are done clean up the mess. Replace all your valve stem seals with this tool #MD998729 if not you will damage them. I prefer u change all the lifters also.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg