scan0012.jpg

I bought this truck some 6 years ago. It has been a remarkably tough work-horse. It has not demanded a lot of attention, though I've kept it well-maintained and sufficiently loved.

The fiberglass camper shell came with it, though before I bought it, it had been stored on the ground, and grandchildren used it as a trampauline. I modified it with wood-frame reinforcements to carry ladders and lumber overhead. Two cross-bars on top...2x4's scribed and cut to the contour of the roof...also feature 4 hoops (bolted at the bottom) for bungy cords, but also hanging the shell from my garage rafters. The garage has since been rebuilt and upgraded, (one of my greater acheivements in life) so I'm in the process of building a rack to put the shell on when I want just a truck. I'm a carpenter by trade.

I'm a "Friend Of Bill's", so I consider this my "sobriety truck". It took me to a lot of A.A. meetings, and still does. (5 year chip)

Last year I had thought to get a little pick-up truck for general use (F-150's get horrible mileage). From my high school days, I thought about a '73 Datsun, but those are hard to come by, here in the land of salt-to-melt-snow roads. It was by pure chance (or Fate, maybe) that one day, stopping at a 7~11 for cofffee, I saw the D-50 on a car lot. It was love at first sight, and it's been a great adventure fixing up the D-50, but the F-150 is certainly my life-line. In four-wheel drive it will go through 16" of snow faithfully.

Someone had put a 2" lift kit on it and it is a great height...not too high, requiring huge (expensive) tires, and not obnoxiously cocky. It enjoys a cameo appearance in my video "Essence Of The Fair 2013" (available on YouTube). Rust repair and repainting was done before I took possession of the truck, though the years have killed the clear coat, and the typical-for-F.150's rust is re-emerging around the rear wheel wells. For two years the odometer/speedometer was broken, so I have no idea how many miles are actually on it. It's an old truck, and there's just something sane about old trucks, I'm sure most will agree.