Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

Hello From Virginia

Hello Forum members...I'm glad to be here. Internet searches are how I found this forum, and I decided to join since I intend to be buried in my 1990 D-50.

I've only had it since September, and never thought of D-50's before. I happened to see it on a car lot and it was love at first sight. I drove it two blocks and made an offer.

After 3,000 miles of wonderful driving and cleaning up overall, the timing belt stripped teeth, and I am waiting to get into the motor to see what kind of damage I did...bent valve at the very least, I'm sure. Like some of the members' posts I've read, I'm $3,000.00 into a $600 truck...but that includes all steering rubber replaced and alligned, new tires and a madatory 300-watt stereo system.

I just bought an '89 that has been sitting for years not far from my home. Research tells me it is a 2.0, and it is carborated. I hope to be able to use the head from the 2.0 on the F.I. 2.4. (Any help is appreciated...seeing some of the complex stuff you guys have done, this should be a simple question, and I haven't had time to search the forum a whole lot). Meanwhile, I'm showing signs of D-50 addiction, and this forum seemed the best place for re-hab

My main D-50's clock shows 217,000 miles. The '89 I just bought (from original owner) has 157,010.

1990= 4G64 5-speed F.I.
    1989= G63B 5-speed carb
    Both are very basic models.

The '90 has a transmission bearing noise: it's my hope the '89's transmission is quieter.

That's my story and I'm stiuckin' to it.

Thanks for having me here.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome Royster, Sorry to hear about the truck. Makes me feel even better that I have non-interference components. I have melted a couple belts and the last one spun the fan belt pulley and bolt off the front of the motor. The parts landed in the engine bay pan, but it did damage the parts on the crankshaft with the crankshaft key gouged into all the parts that were on the front end of the crank.
    You may get lucky and only have to change the valve seals and the bent valve. Anyway, let us know how it goes and create a thread of the fixes also.

DOn't forget to post of your progress. Everyone here luvs the pictures.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Many thanks, Brad.

I just got off the phone with an expert on Mitsubishis and he gave disouraging/encouraging news. He thinks there is little damage to the 2.4, and also suggests that the '89 is useless for exchange parts. Well, better to know a sure-footed way to proceed than to force failure with delerious optimism, however well-intended.

I'm GLAD to post pictures and share the projects: I have no one else in real-time who appreciates mechanics, much less D-50's. My own forum (I'm Administratopr of two websites, very unrelated to cars) only has maybe 3 members who even care about tinkering with old motors. It gets lonely out here.

I joined MR50 to HAVE a community of like-minded friends, and I am deeply grateful to have ended up here. Grandmas love showing off pictures of their grandkids: I love showing off pictures of my D-50 BLT (Bitchen' Little Truck). I'll get some swcanned and posted shotly.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I'm GLAD to post pictures and share the projects: I have no one else in real-time who appreciates mechanics, much less D-50's. My own forum (I'm Administratopr of two websites, very unrelated to cars) only has maybe 3 members who even care about tinkering with old motors. It gets lonely out here.

I joined MR50 to HAVE a community of like-minded friends, and I am deeply grateful to have ended up here. Grandmas love showing off pictures of their grandkids: I love showing off pictures of my D-50 BLT (Bitchen' Little Truck). I'll get some swcanned and posted shotly.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Swap out the belts. I don't think you hurt anything. Just make sure everything turns over freely and you should be good to go.
    Now that you are a member be sure to check out your privet streaming radio station. There is a link at the top of the page. Look for MMD5 Radio. It rocks. And if we don't have what you have you can upload to it and get it on the air.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Thank you, camoit. I've had some encouraging advice come my way, yours' certainly calms some nerves for me.

I'm going to err on the side of caution and take the head off, anyway. If there's a bent valve, I can go ahead and replace it. And I can replace the valve seals, too so I should be rammin' on in about a week. Plus I'll have the peace of mind knowing what's into that engine.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    The 2.0 head will bolt onto the 2.4 block but will also bump up the compression a bit, theres a guy on the facebook mighty max page running this setup. You could also take all the fuel injection components(and ecu/engine harness, etc) and convert the 2.0 to fuel injection. Transmissions cannot be swapped between the two as one is a narrow block and the other a wide block engine design

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Transmissions cannot be swapped between the two as one is a narrow block and the other a wide block engine design
    This is such a time and money saver to know, DM...thanks so much. It helps me with future decisions/purchaces, I can also pass this information along to help fellow enthusiasts to save them grief.

My hands-on education with D-50's has been really interesting, but combined with expert knowledge, it becomes a whole different universe.

Many thanks.