Thread: High Performance Internal Parts?

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

High Performance Internal Parts?

Hey guys,

This questions goes out to the high performance gents. I need to know the brand of great high performance rod and main bearings and maybe who carries some chomoly or ductomoly low tension piston rings for my g54B n/a motor? Brand and parts numbers would be great if you have them.

Also I was hoping maybe some has or know what the original camshaft specs are for my g54b-8v engine? I need the intake and exhaust open and close durations and if anyone has a aftermarked cam on stock head that would be ok as well.

I have tried looking through the site for this and having some issues. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    OH man this will bring out the modders. There are parts available and you should hear soon

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Rod and Main bearings, along with piston coatings.

http://www.calicocoatings.com/

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    Rod and Main bearings, along with piston coatings.

http://www.calicocoatings.com/
    do they carry bearings for my g54b or do they just coat them? i looked on there site and i cant tell and have you personally used this company before?

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    OH man this will bring out the modders. There are parts available and you should hear soon
    Great! that is what i was hoping for.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    look for parts for the starion / conquest motors (starquest) all rod and main bearings are identical to the truck 2.6 because the turbo motor is based on the truck block. For cams, try Oregon cam grinders, Schneider race cams or TEP - Oregon will regrind to your needs, Schneider makes new cams, and TEP has a stepped up cam for both N/A and turbo motors. Engine machine services has many perf parts for the 2.6 including standard and oversize valves with undercut stem for increased airflow.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    look for parts for the starion / conquest motors (starquest) all rod and main bearings are identical to the truck 2.6 because the turbo motor is based on the truck block. For cams, try Oregon cam grinders, Schneider race cams or TEP - Oregon will regrind to your needs, Schneider makes new cams, and TEP has a stepped up cam for both N/A and turbo motors. Engine machine services has many perf parts for the 2.6 including standard and oversize valves with undercut stem for increased airflow.

thanks a bunch pennyman!! Now does anyone know where to find the original stock camshaft specs for this motor??

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by Sscorpion View Post
    do they carry bearings for my g54b or do they just coat them? i looked on there site and i cant tell and have you personally used this company before?
    I bought the bearing from them coated. as for having yours, Call them and ask them, I suspect they pull them from a bearing house and coat anything that can be had. I've built 2 motors using them, the base bearings were ACL.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    For the Cam Numbers check the 216 Manuals section, specifically any factory engine manual

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks got it

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Does anyone know the flow specs for the 2.6l m28 stock head?

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sscorpion View Post
    Does anyone know the flow specs for the 2.6l m28 stock head?
    anyone? Well since the engine builder outta spokane royaly screwed my motor up i need a line on a place to buy high compression dome top pistons for a g54b engine with the stock m28 casting head. Any ideas?

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Call Arias Pistons in L.A. ask for Nick Arias III. He did My 14:1 pistons for the 4G64. I had the bowls in the head re-shaped and he did custom pistons for me. They did have to have the Head to measure the chamber and size everything. So if you're serious and have the cash....

Piston

AS Pistons 008.jpg

head

1& 2.jpg

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Call Arias Pistons in L.A. ask for Nick Arias III. He did My 14:1 pistons for the 4G64. I had the bowls in the head re-shaped and he did custom pistons for me. They did have to have the Head to measure the chamber and size everything. So if you're serious and have the cash....

Piston

AS Pistons 008.jpg

head

1& 2.jpg
    SWEET! But my m28 head does not look like the kindey shape it is just perfect dome shape? also this is exactly what i am looking for how much did they charge you just so i can figure my budget.

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    is your engine turboed or just n/a? and did you run stock valve train on that head

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    it was N/A in that configuration. No, it is not a stock valvetrain. The valves are oversize, and the springs are very heavy duty, rev limit is 8k.
    also I switched over to manual adjust lifters from the 1.8 liter motor. Originals were hydraulic and couldn't handle the springs.

I have over $1,100 dollars in head work, like i said, my head went to Arias and the combustion chambers were measured & profiled so they could make the dome for the Pistons. I lived in LA at the time so it was a hand carry from the head shop to Arias..
    The pistons were $601 with rings, wrist pins, and shipping... those are 2005 numbers.

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    it was N/A in that configuration. No, it is not a stock valvetrain. The valves are oversize, and the springs are very heavy duty, rev limit is 8k.
    also I switched over to manual adjust lifters from the 1.8 liter motor. Originals were hydraulic and couldn't handle the springs.

I have over $1,100 dollars in head work, like i said, my head went to Arias and the combustion chambers were measured & profiled so they could make the dome for the Pistons. I lived in LA at the time so it was a hand carry from the head shop to Arias..
    The pistons were $601 with rings, wrist pins, and shipping... those are 2005 numbers.
    ok sounds good! thanks for your help also do you know by chance what the flow rate of the stock m28 head is? i have been looking for days and cant find anything

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    you won't find anything. Flow is all about valve size, chamber shape and valve lift. you'll only find that in Mitsubishi R&D for a factory part.

get your head ported and intake matched, do whatever you're going to do with your valves and cam, then have it flowbenched to see what you end up with, move on from there.

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I was hoping to find the flow at .50 cam duration for intake and exhaust so i can have my cam ground to almost perfect specs without experimenting with multiple cam grinds?

thanks mike you have been a big help!

one last question what brand of conrod and main bearings do you recommend for my g54b with high compression pistons? king bearings have not been good to my in the past and acl doesnt have a race series bearing for this truck. What have you had good luck with?

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Mine are ACL coated by Calico :-( of course its a 4G64, same as a 4G63. Talk to the Guys at Calico, call them, they will know.

Now don't make my mistake and choose to hop up an engine with practically no aftermarket!

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    No im not just have to rebuild it and want to have just a little more power and reliability, thats all. I am not planning on drag racing this motor. its my daily driver so nothing to fancy. thanks for your help though!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The stock pistons for an 89 2.6 are flattop for use with the stock head - you could have the head shaved .010 to raise the compression without issues - mpre than that and you will need to notch the pistons.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980