Thread: 67-72 Ford Frame Swap, What You Think??

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other

67-72 Ford Frame Swap, What You Think??

So I'm needing a frame here soon, and obviously I'm not going to find a good one to redo, and I'd like something a bit more heavy and non destructible. So I thought about using a frame out of the 67-72 Ford Trucks, for the frames DO NOT RUST!!!! Lol, I got a 68 2wd and the body was so bad that I couldn't rebuild the cab for there was nothing left to know how it was even built (the whole firewall was gone all the way back towards the middle of the truck), but there is no frame rust what so ever and I can find those trucks all day long at junkyards, even a few 1 ton trucks. I haven't done any measurements, but I know those frames are not that wide, and I think they would work, just got to break out the torches/welder and bob it/ make new mounts. What do you think? I'm planning on using a ford power plant as well, idk yet. And this won't be happening anytime soon, just thinking up ideas while I'm stuck inside with this freezing rain/snow, stupid Ohio weather Lol. (And yes I know it will be a lot of work, just need to get the 68 ford rebuilt and the regal's tranny rebuilt first before I do anything to my truck...)

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Ford rust, lol they use to not undercoat their trucks for some years back

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Every thing rusts lol, but I mean the 67-72 frames are built very well, all the trucks I see, usually 70-72, the bodies are cancerous but the frames are stout, just like my 68. The cab was so far gone I went and got another one, but the frame was excellent other then the passenger body mount was starting to go, the rest got blasted and is going to be coated whenever I get shit rolling around here, and when that "garage" gets cleaned up. Between the el camino and junk, there's no room to work on anything and I hate working in cold and having snow blowing up my ass. lol. Whenever I start that project, I'll do a write up about it and how it goes, and yes I'll have pics. Like I said, it will be awhile yet...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I would think the ford frame would be too wide for the wheels to fit under a Ram 50 body, but I never measured one, so I want to see how it goes.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Well tonight I did a quick measurement and like what I thought, the ford frame is actually more narrow at 36 inches where as the mitsu was 41-ish. So it shouldn't be too much work, I know it's going to get quite involved, but like I said, I can get those frames all day long and get them cheap, and I wanted to run a ford power plant as well. Maybe late summer I'll think about doing this, I'm kinda set on doing this project.

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Frames vary in width. Send out to Cali / AZ for a rust free Mitsu frame.