Thread: So souped I found this site. First time user, need questions answered.

Array
    Status
    North Smithfield,Rhode Island
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

So souped I found this site. First time user, need questions answered.

Hello my name is James and I have a 1989 two door Mighty Max. definitely my favorite vehicle so far. I'm pretty sure I got a good deal on it. The truck only has 60,000 miles on it and I only paid a 1,000 dollars for it. I am on this site to ask YOU the pros some questions I have about this vehicle. With it only having 60,000 miles on it the truck sat for some time. When I first ran it , the truck had very little power, horrible gas mileage and had trouble starting. So I noticed that this seams to be a common problems with this vehicle. So far I have replaced the Cadillac converter which was clogged to shit and the fuel filter and fuel sock or something like that. I am not a car guy so please excuse me for not knowing what some things are. But I have a good mechanic who will do anything for me to help with restoring my truck.

So I am a general contractor and bought this truck to do estimates in. I am looking to restore this truck by making the exterior look nice adding some more power and better suspension. Possible lift maybe. So if anyone has an suggestions what I can do to make these things happen would be much appreciated. Also I want to replace or do any matince that the truck needs at the 60,000 mile mark. So if anyone can tell me what parts I can buy or what I can do to make the truck a little more powerfull and better suspension so I can put some ladders on it and not have it bouncing around.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the MightyRam50 Forum. You have come to the right place to ask questions about your truck. Responses usually take around 24 hours or so when people make it in to check post. We also have a mountain of other resources, such as manuals and other folks posts. Ask whatever you need and if possible, post some pics of your truck so all can get a look at what your asking about.

Enjoy

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome, at 60K and that old you should do at the least a new timing belt, drive belts, spark plugs, and a basic tune up. That should get you started.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If you have the G54b, it has a timing chain and not a belt, so don't change it. Change the belts, hoses, fuel filter, all fluids, and check the brakes. As Sleeps says, do the tune up and run a good fuel system cleaner through it, like redline synthetic fuel injection cleaner - works great on all vehicles. After you get it running right, start adding Sta-bil marine ethanol gas treatment - eliminates the problems ethanol causes with older vehicles.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to the site. You might want to grease the chassis and u-joints to make sure all the steering and suspension components will take grease if they have grease nipples. If you want to stiffen up the suspension check out this site http://www.hellwigproducts.com/. It's an American company. I used the LP-15 on my 4x4 and it stiffened it right up. I can put a 1000 lbs in it and it still rides level.

Array
    Status
    North Smithfield,Rhode Island
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Okay so I am right back to where I started with the carb problems. It starts but I have to pump the peddle to get it going like crazy. Once started it just putters out and stalls. I thought the problem was fixed when I installed the new CAT. I dont know if this has anything to do with it or just coincidence. But I put some fuel cleaner in run it as suggested and then filled the 50 with high grade gas. Now its doing the same thing before I installed the cat. Starts like crap then stalls out. Someone also said too much fuel, that could be possible but not sure what to do. Do you think the high grade gas had something to do with it ????? Not sure what to do??? I'm going to check the hoses like pennyman said . But not sure what I'm looking for. Not a car guy just a D-50 lover and contractor. Please help !!!!

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    It's the crappy 25 year factory carb falling apart one piece at a time. Just buy a weber, save your headache and enjoy your truck

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    But don't buy the fake Weber.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeps View Post
    Welcome, at 60K and that old you should do at the least a new timing belt, drive belts, spark plugs, and a basic tune up. That should get you started.
    Sleeps? where the hell you been...in jail? Sheesh you disappear forever and reappear like it was just yesterday. Are you getting abducted by aliens or what?

Also guys, ever wonder if the smog laws in Rhode Island don't allow a carb change to a weber? Not every state is weber legal, lol.
    Last edited by BradMph; 12-11-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    High grade gas won't make it easier to start. It might actually make it more difficult to start because of the higher octane level, especially if you have a weak spark. That engine only needs 3 things to run. The right air fuel mixture, a good spark, and good compression. If any one of those things is not up to snuff the engine will not run properly. The first thing I would do would be a compression test if you can get the motor warmed up a bit. Perhaps your mechanic friend could help you there. If your compression is low, or varies greatly from cylinder to cylinder, it will be difficult to start and keep running just like you described.