Array
    Status
    Colorado Srpings, CO
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

New guy

My great uncle bought the 1981 d50 royal in California new off the lot, then when he passed away it was given to my grandfather in Kansas, who then brought it to Colorado where it is now when the whole family decided to head a bit more west. Being 22 now I have been around this truck a long time an was the first car I learned how to drive a stick shift in. I also learned how to replace a clutch on this truck since grandpa had a habit of overloading the bed and driving in the highest gear possible, he once had enough concrete in the bed to pull the front wheels almost off the ground, had to brake and bounce it to get it to turn. Anyway when he passed away I got the truck due to being the only one who really cared about it. I have tried to keep it as stock as I can besides putting some sport wheels on I found at the local scrap yard 118,000 miles and the engine runs perfect, but the five speed is a different story which I why I joined this forum. 4th gear is the only one that sounds like it's not about to explode , I know the gear box leaks an I have to fill it up about every two months. Basically if somebody wouldn't mind directing me to a thread about tranny repairs, rebuilds, or replacements that would be great. Also just decided to throw in a picture if my other ram for fun
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Colorado Srpings, CO
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    040.jpg028.jpghere are a few more due to the first being a bit sideways

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Ah yes the 5 spd tranny grinds - you need to have that looked at soon before it totally tears the tranny apart. The front main bearings are a common fail, as well as other parts that will cause that noise. You can get a rebuild kit on ebay, or most of the parts are still available from a mitsubishi dealer. The issue with the mitsu dealer is that they did not import these trucks as mighty maxes until 83, so trying to get them to look up the parts may be tough. Be sure when you order the parts you specify the year and engine size - the internals are different for the different years and engines - they are not the same. Welcome to the forum - looks like it survived pretty well for what its been through.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980