Array
    Status
    Arcadia,WI
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Manual Choke

I have a 88 ram 50 custom with a 2.6L the choke sensor on it is broke and I can't find a replacement sensor so I would have to buy a new carb but I don't want to so I would like to put a manual choke in how would I do that.

Array
    Status
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I am thinking (OH,Oh!) that if the SENSOR is bad, a manual conversion will not do much for you... the sensor is supposed to talk to the brain box about where your choke is sitting; if it is broke now, it will still be broke after you convert which will still put the brain box into a tizzy. Your choke opening should be mechanically controlled by either a water tube or an electrical heater. I have an '86 Mik carb. w/ a water tube/ wax pellet, but luckily I have fewer sensors wired into it. Sometimes "progress" is not really progress. Computers do not belong in trucks. If you can, you might want to try spraying some electronic contact cleaner (for volume controls) into the sensor as they are usually just a variable resistor (like a volume control).
    Good luck! Grumppa

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Are you talking about the thermal wax? If so there is no fix for it. What I did with mine for a couple of years was to wire it in the open position. The I disconnected the linkage and used a cable. It was a PAI but it did work.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com