Array
    Status
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

4D56T head swap details?

So... I'm considering doing this for mine. There are several new 4D56T heads on ebay right now for pretty cheap (they say 1993 - 2004 though). Plus, roller rocker arm sets too. $600ish for the heads and $250ish for the roller rocker set. Or this one seems to include it all for $400... why is it so cheap? http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYLINDER-HEA...f59850&vxp=mtr

The head on my 4D55T has been problematic for the last 35k miles (155k on the engine), and has had major failures a few times. I'm thinking maybe there's just something wrong with it that is not being fixed by replacing auxiliary parts.

Is it a direct bolt it for everything -- intake manifold, exhaust manifold, injectors, glow plugs, valve cover, and all? I'd be replacing it in a location that's about an hour drive from the closest hardware store, and even farther from a good hardware store or auto parts place (where the truck died, about 700 miles from my house). So, I want to be sure I have everything before going out there

Is the head that says flush valves for the 1993 to 2004 a compatible one, or do I need to find an older one? Do I need a composite or steel head gasket?

Thanks for any insights on this.

Z

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    wow looks like a killer deal, i would also like to know this info!! much appreciated!

Array
    Status
    Chelsea, IA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I would be interested also if anyone has got anymore details on this ebay head.

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    so no replies?? This head i assume is flush mount valves and we need recessed valves for our engines correct? this says 98-05 shogun and L200 and we need the 93-98 style correct?? so this will not work without changing pistons??

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    also, are our injectors 20MM?? as that is what this head specifies it needs!

Array
    Status
    Chugiak, AK
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Please, if someone can answer this question that'd be great. Also, if indeed a first gen 4d55 requires an older 4d56 head, said 4d56 head only came in 8v configuration?

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    all i know is that you need the protruding valve style, which i believe, is the newer style head... not 100% on that though. hopefully someone will chime in.

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    This is the head that you want because they are a reputable company and they do not sell cheap chinese crap. Yes I have used them in the past and there heads are great. They are also compatible with the 1984-85 injectors. If you have a 1983 diesel then you will need to pickup new injectors as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-4...item256a6a7dd1

Array
    Status
    Australia
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

4D56-T
    Hi folks,
    Im posting from Australia. I drive a Mitsubishi Pajero (shogun/monterey etc)
    It is a Japanese Import, pretty much exactly the same as '4D55 Performance' with the roof tent.
    Last week one of my rocker arms broke, and fractured into 3x pieces. There are small particles throughout the engine.
    I have taken a few things apart and have noticed the Camshaft has very significant wear.
    The lobes have a 'ridge' along one edge.
    This ridge suggests to me that the wrong oil has been used in this engine for quite a while.
    The rocker arm seems to have hit the ridge, and snapped. (the valves were adjusted within the last 6 months)

So my possible solution:
    Get a new cam, and rockers. I have been recommended to get the Roller type.
    I am slowly planning a mild performance upgrade for this engine, including a new turbo, possibly variable nozzle type, new injectors and matching pump, and free-flowing exhaust. (plus water/meth injection, well built intercooler plus other ideas)
    In the future I would like to get a new head too, and match the ports to the intake/exhaust gasket.
    I am unsure on which head to buy, as the question of 'protruding or non-protruding' is hard to answer without pulling the head.
    The vehicle year is 1988. Non-intercooled turbo.
    Does anyone have a sure fore way of knowing which head I have, and also is there any performance difference between the two.
    AND will the roller rockers and matching cam suit both protruding and non protruding heads?

Perhaps I will need to make a new thread!

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    from what i am told, the 4d55 has the protruding valve style. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D55 Performance View Post
    This is the head that you want because they are a reputable company and they do not sell cheap chinese crap. Yes I have used them in the past and there heads are great. They are also compatible with the 1984-85 injectors. If you have a 1983 diesel then you will need to pickup new injectors as well.

I also think i need to replace the head on my 83 ram 50 4d55 so im trying to get to the bottom of this. this item says flush type valves, though what im seeing most people say is that the older 4d55 had protruding valves.

what i dont understand is why this isn't interchangeable? the protruding type say the protrude a whole 1mm! i imagine it'd be fine to use this flush type head on my truck but i dont want to run into any problems!

does anyone know for sure what the interchangeability of these heads are?

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

Spence, I bought a 4D56 head from a different ebay seller with the same UK address (108 fishponds road), back in 2012. I wouldn't say it was complete crap, but I'm pretty certain it is from China. I do recall using a torque wrench to tighten down the rocker shaft to the head, and stripping out some aluminum. Luckily, the part that got stripped out was an aluminum piece that was used to hold down the camshaft, so I believe I may have just replaced that with a similar piece from my 4d55 head.

Anyhow, I would trust that this head is good enough, but I don't think it is flawless. So far I have had no problems with the head, but at the same time, I don't put a lot of miles on my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by coyotefiveoh View Post
    so no replies?? This head i assume is flush mount valves and we need recessed valves for our engines correct? this says 98-05 shogun and L200 and we need the 93-98 style correct?? so this will not work without changing pistons??
    I think flush valves are the same thing as recessed valves. Regarding your other post: I believe it was the 4d55 and the early 4d56 that had protruding valves. I think the later 4D56 had the flush valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsun View Post
    I also think i need to replace the head on my 83 ram 50 4d55 so im trying to get to the bottom of this. this item says flush type valves, though what im seeing most people say is that the older 4d55 had protruding valves.

what i dont understand is why this isn't interchangeable? the protruding type say the protrude a whole 1mm! i imagine it'd be fine to use this flush type head on my truck but i dont want to run into any problems!

does anyone know for sure what the interchangeability of these heads are?

I think a protruding valve would mean slightly less room in the cylinder, which means slightly higher compression, would be my guess. Therefore, a flush-valve head would be slightly lower compression. And then the other problems would be if you got too late a model head, the injectors might not fit is my other guess, because they eventually started making the 4D56 as a common rail direct injection system, which would mean a head redesign (no swirl chamber at the very least).

Quote Originally Posted by Wardcolorado View Post
    Is it a direct bolt it for everything -- intake manifold, exhaust manifold, injectors, glow plugs, valve cover, and all? I'd be replacing it in a location that's about an hour drive from the closest hardware store, and even farther from a good hardware store or auto parts place (where the truck died, about 700 miles from my house). So, I want to be sure I have everything before going out there

Is the head that says flush valves for the 1993 to 2004 a compatible one, or do I need to find an older one? Do I need a composite or steel head gasket?
    I don't know 100%, but I believe the intake and the exhaust manifolds would probably the same... however, at some point, they started making the 4D56 in a Direct Injection style, so I would guess that the injectors would certainly have changed at that point. (pure speculation on my part) Since you have a 1984, it should have the same injectors as the protruding valve 4D56. Beyond that, I can't say.

If you want to play it safe, then get a head with protruding valves.
    Otherwise, make sure you check the injector size matches the size listing on the auction page.

When I bought mine, it was 285 UKPounds ... I see that c_heads_r_us is now selling one for 1295 UKPounds. That seems awfully high to me. I can see why you are considering the later model one. I wish I could assure you it would work, but I don't know enough.

Anyhow, if you look at the listing that Spencer posted, you'll see that it includes 4 injectors, so that makes my concern kind of moot I suppose.
    Last edited by huff; 06-01-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T

I have a 1987 4d55 out of a ranger, would that head work on it without ungodly amounts of modifications?

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    I don't know, but I would guess they are the same. A cylinder head is a pretty major part of an engine, so I'd be surprised if Ford decided to redesign it - It would be reinventing the wheel, basically.

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Hello, i am wondering if we ever got a definite answer on this? I would like to lower the compression on my 1986 ford ranger with the 4d55 in it, i would like to try and do so by putting the flush valve 4d56 head on the 4d55, has anyone ever done this? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    Eric

Array
    Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55
    I just had my head from my 86 Ranger swapped with a 4D56 from a Delica. Turns out the fuel filter doesnt mount to the new head , as well as the dipstick.

Mechanic had to screw around for a while to rig it together and I felt that in the bill.

Other than that it seemed to be the same...

Although, after about fifteen minutes of running fine my temp sensor is randomly spiking to the red and sounding the buzzer...Hoping it's just air in the coolant still so going to burp it some more.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmuirhead9 View Post
    I just had my head from my 86 Ranger swapped with a 4D56 from a Delica. Turns out the fuel filter doesnt mount to the new head , as well as the dipstick.

Mechanic had to screw around for a while to rig it together and I felt that in the bill.

Other than that it seemed to be the same...

Although, after about fifteen minutes of running fine my temp sensor is randomly spiking to the red and sounding the buzzer...Hoping it's just air in the coolant still so going to burp it some more.
    Coolant wise, i always top the engine off from the water outlet by the injection pump, less chance for bubbles.
    my d56 had a dipstick bolted to the head from a delica, may just depend on year?

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Is the delica head a flush valve or protruding valve head?