Array
    Status
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

G63B into '85 4X4

The 2.6 in the Little Woman's '85 4X4 Ram 50 is shot. I have a nice 2.0 (G63B) out of a 1st Gen Mighty Max that needs a home.
    Far as I know, only 2.6's were installed in 4X4 1st Gens (true?). Anybody done this swap before? The only real problem I can foresee is the 2.0 2wd oil pan/front axle housing. Will it clear as-is? Can it be easily modified to fit? OR: Is there a pan/pickup tube combo that will work?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    One other issue you might run into is the width of the bell housing. If the 2.0 came out of a manual truck (narrowblock), it may not fit the transmission (wideblock). If the 2.0 was mated to an automatic, it may fit. But double check with this cart and a tape measure.

http://projectzerog.com/mitsubishi_engines.shtml

Array
    Status
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    One other issue you might run into is the width of the bell housing. If the 2.0 came out of a manual truck (narrowblock), it may not fit the transmission (wideblock). If the 2.0 was mated to an automatic, it may fit. But double check with this cart and a tape measure.

http://projectzerog.com/mitsubishi_engines.shtml
    Yes, I neglected to mention that- They're both narrow blocks. The truck has the MA904 "Baby Torqueflite" automatic (somewhat uncommon for a 4wd 1st Gen). I also have anther "narrow" 2.6 in my garage, but I would like to go with the 2.0 because it's ready, and it offers the possibility of retrofitting later-model EFI later on.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxedoubt View Post
    Yes, I neglected to mention that- They're both narrow blocks. The truck has the MA904 "Baby Torqueflite" automatic (somewhat uncommon for a 4wd 1st Gen).
    Interesting...I didn't know the 904s were narrow. Can they be fitted with either a column or floor mount shfter?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    keep in mind the Baby 904s are really aisin-warner transmissions built to 904 specs, but are not mopar 904s, and there never was a column auto shift on these trucks in 1st gens. Because it is a 1st gen auto 2.6, it will work with the g63b, but you may need the flexplate for a g63b to make it work. There may also be issues with the starter if the flexplate is changed. You may be able to use a 2nd gen column with a auto on the column shifter, but I don't see an advantage to doing that unless you were swapping columns for other reasons besides the shifter, like a power steering conversion.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Oil pan?......anyone?.........oil pan?......