Array
    Status
    Bloomington, IN
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63

Exclamation What did i do???

Ok, so I have an '87 Ram50 with a 2.0. I saw that there was a threaded hole on the side of the block just below the starter and it was spewing oil. I had no clue what the hole was for, so I grabbed a 1.5" long bolt from the parts store. I thought it might be a little long, but it was the shortest they had. I threaded it in and it went in smooth and easy all the way. I tried to fire my truck up and it cranked over really slow. Immediately I pulled the bolt back out and tried to fire it up again. It took some time but I finally got it to fire up and drove it home. The engine is shaking pretty bad and it feels like I am pulling a couple of extra tons of weight. It's kinda like my e brake is stuck on. Feels like the engine still has some power, but something is dragging it down. Well I found a manual and it looks like a short plug goes in that hole and you're supposed to stick a screwdriver in it when you do the timing. I just did the timing last weekend after my belt tensioner broke and never stuck a screwdriver in that hole. I guess my question is, what's the hole for, what did i screw up by sticking that bolt in there, then trying to start it? What do I do about it, and what the heck is a silent shaft?

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I'd say you screwed up the balance/silent shaft. you put the screwdriver in there to make sure weight is in the correct position.

sounds like a balance shaft delete kit coming.

Array
    Status
    Bloomington, IN
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Great... What all is there to it? I see the silent shaft sprocket removal in the manual, but nothing about pulling the whole shaft. I was really hoping that at most, I just forced it to jump time and I need to do it all of that over again. You think that's where I should start or should I be looking for a balance shaft delete kit?

Array
    Status
    Bloomington, IN
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    And sorry I'm asking stupid questions, but what is a balance shaft? What's it's purpose? To be honest, I've never even heard of one. Are they just used in imports or what?
    Sorry, it just seems wierd to be eliminating and internal engine component to me. Do you think it would be better to replace it if I can find one or do away with it completely? I am totally open to any suggestions because I don't have a clue about these egnines.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...mination-2-0-L

there was another thread on here that talks about it. I can't fond it at the moment. Try the search and see what you get. Also look in the archives.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Bloomington, IN
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    ok thanks

Array
    Status
    Bloomington, IN
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    ok I found that thread and the link you posted in it. I think it might be too much to do with 130,000 mi and my frame rusting in half and a smashed up front bumper and fender. I love my truck, but I really need a work van right now so I guess I'll just park it for another day. I'll be back after I have this engine completely tore down and am ready to build something nice. Thanks for the help.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    With that long of a bolt I'd agree with LSMMike and say you bent the balance shaft.

Array
    Status
    Bloomington, IN
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Do you think it may have just held the balance shaft still and forced it to jump time or is that just wishfull thinking. I was thinking I would try to set all of the time again and if I have no luck I'm gonna park it til I have the time for it.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Yea might as well check timing anything is possible, it would be a lot better for it to be that but don't get your hopes up too much.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If it's bent it will cause the engine to turn over slow and struggle. Then it will freeze up and loose oil pressure. It will self destruct.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Bloomington, IN
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Dang, turning over slow and struggling. That's exactly what it is doing. I'm still gonna check the timing, but it sounds like it's done for. Thanks guys.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Then spend the time and $65 bucks to put in an eliminator kit and just run it into the next year.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.