Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Thoughts?

I am new to this carburetor scene. As well to the D50/Mighty Max area.

I am having some minor issues. I changed the cap/rotor, wires and spark plugs in hopes of getting better mpg and a little more life out of the truck.

1) When I first start it up, the truck bogs down and just does not wanna go. I have to almost feather the throttle to leave but once it's going it's fine until I start from a stop.

2) When I am going up hill, I have to go from 5th gear all the way to 3rd sometimes 2nd depending how steep. Any thoughts on what i could do to not have to down shift so drastically? I have tried the accelerating but cops here don't care and will give me a ticket.

Over all the truck isn't bad just seems to be lacking power, (and i'm use to 100hp car lol and no not a civic). I am planning on keeping the truck for awhile as i love having a little beater truck as I now got a 14ft john boat (for free too!). But I can't drive it while it'll barely get to 55/65 which is normally where I am traveling.

I have researched into 4G63 4G64 swaps or Starion FI (had engine/trans and all wires for $600 picked up). But I don't know much about swapping things like that. I want a bit more power or at least not such a drag to get up to 35/45/55 speeds. Even floored it just won't go very fast. lol Sorry for the rant.

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Just an quick note and another question.

The engines code is a G54 series 2.6. The guy I got it from said he swapped an engine into it. I was told the 2.0/2.6 also have the same transmission. True/false ? I am curious cause the guy I got the truck had receipts for the cap/rotor/wires/plugs being done a week before and under warranty still. But didn't show that kind of vehicle or anything.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    sounds like either timing or plugged fuel filter
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    ...Thank you...Major derp moment. I don't even know why I haven't changed that just to change it.
    Thank you pennyman, btw love the pink ride. My girlfriend wants to do the truck purple if I do a normal mini truck style truck. lol

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    I see you said the plugs and wires were just changed, you might want to check they are the correct ones. Your description sounds like the way my old Toyota was running with bad plug wires. Opened the hood one night and it was a mini lightning storm. Pennyman's advice on the fuel filter is definitely something else to check.
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Some other things to check would be the ignition timing and the air filter. After changing the fuel filter I would add some carburetor cleaner to the fuel tank and fill up with fresh regular grade fuel.

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Just checked the spark plugs, they are autolite which may explain the issue. Checked the local AP stores no one cares NGK for them. Air filter is brand new, granted the top cover is missing from it. Not sure if that would cause any issues as far as the way it's running. The heater hose from the manifold to the intake manifold isn't staying connected. Drive 5 minutes it is disconnected. I did try carb cleaner seems like it helped a bit and i've even tried cleaning the carb with spray and using a tooth brush (soft bristle) to clean it.

Thank you all for the help, Appreciate it. I guess I over look the easy/simple stuff when I think carburetor.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Well if the cover from your air filter is missing the filter won't be doing much good. You need to find the cover or get an aftermarket air filter set up so that air has to go through the filter to enter the engine.

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    So went ahead and bought plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, oil change. Changing all that in the morning, swapping the autolite plugs for NGK V Power Coppers. Is there any suggestion for a cover for the air filter or a cheap swap? Not looking to invest $200 into this car unless it's maintenance and a have too.

I was thinking of just finding a cheap piece of metal to cover over the filter if I can't.

New question: I think either A. my exhaust is cracked or B. pulley is going bad. I tried to take off the a/c belt but it isn't working, i wound up tightening it up just a little and the whine/hiss went away drastically compared to what it was. I checked the batter it's at 60% (after just cranking it once). Thinking the alternator is going bad, but the volt reads 14-15 roughly.

Sorry for always going on a tangent when posting just like to get as much information into it as possible.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You did not mention the fuel filter as Pennyman suggested. It could be the biggest part of the problem.
    You could try calling the auto recyclers to see if they have a ram 50 in the yard. The breather cover is not a high demand item so if the truck is there, chances are the breather cover will be as well. Probably in the back of the truck or the cab.
    If the volt meter says 14 -15 then the alternator is ok and you have a weak battery. Take the leads off the battery and clean the terminals to ensure a good connection and see if the battery recovers after driving a bit.