Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

1987 Ram50 Alternator???

Hello, quick question I have a 1987 Dodge ram 50, I bought about 3 months ago well I was under the hood yesterday just inspecting to make sure everything looked good when I seen that my alternator was crooked causing the belt to wear and make an awful noise and not be aligned so i started looking at the alternator to see what was going on it appears the previous owner had put a bolt that is way to small in the bottom mount of the alternator and a bunch of washers with a nut on the end. So i went to go to autozone to see about getting the right size nut and bolt and the guy at autozone says it should only be a bolt that threads into the engine?? Am I missing something when I look there is no where for a bolt to go into? It just goes through the first tab mount thing on the alternator then through the mount on the truck then through the other hole on the alternator and there is nothing behind it?? IDK please help pics, advice, anything thanks in advance

Dave350

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. The information I can share is regarding the 90' 2.4, though should be the same.

That is a specific bolt for the alternator: it had a square head and the head is thin. The bolt is tightened on the firewall-side of the alternator. Oddly, this very bolt topic came up in chat the other night.

I'm not sure about the replacement of them, but I'm pretty confident you need that specific bolt, or one with the head sanded down. You'll note the square fitting for it in the alternator: this holds the bolt while the nut is tightened on the other side (toward the firewall). The bolt goes through the alternator and a mounting hole on the block (it does not bolt into the engine block). The bolt is roughly 3-1/2" long.

The photo below is the best I can offer to show the square bolt. Click on the image to enlarge.
    scan0012.jpg
    Last edited by royster; 02-12-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Mine broke when I went to unbolt it.Correct replacements are available thru Mitsubishi, pretty common part from what the parts guy indicated. Put anti-seize on it next time. Let me know if you need a part number.