Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

JJ (my Ram 50 Sport)

So today I took some time(A lot) and cleaned up and did some little stuff to my new truck. I just inherited the truck from my grandpa Jay, who I am named after(Jason) hence the trucks name. He bought the truck used before I was born and I believe I am now the third owner. The truck is a 1990 Dodge Ram 50 Sport model with the extended cab. It has the 2.4 4g64 and is a 2wd model. The truck was wrecked a number of years ago and all the new parts were acquired, but never installed due to the weld in requirement of the core support. I have all the pieces needed to put the truck together once I feel like taking the time and effort to tear it apart drill out all the welds and put in the new panel. Until then the truck will remain much the way it sits right now. Visually I will not be changing the truck, but mechanically it will be much improved over time. The plan is to fit a Ford Ranger front lip onto the stock valence for the Ram to better the aero on the front. Suspension will be bags all around, although not body dropped or anything crazy. The coils I'm just going to replace with bags in the front with nothing changed and the rear will be getting mono-leaf and a lowering block with just the supplemental air bag so its not laying on the ground all the time. The mono-leaf design will be just to avoid doing a 4 link setup and all that time and money involved. The idea behind the suspension is comfortable, aerodynamic being as low as possible at higher speeds, and functional so that I can avoid worrying about driveways, speed bumps, or any decent amount of weight in the back since it is still a truck and will be used as one. The engine I am undecided on as of yet but ideas are a DOHC swap onto the stock block(which is #1 contender right now) or just a full 4G63 swap for the more efficent 2.0 and turbo possibilities. Interior I have no real plan besides a nice stereo replacing all the speakers and head unit with a sub setup that is TBD. Surprisingly the original sound system that is still in place sounds quite good, and all functions properly. The paint will not be changed as I love the color and its still in really good shape. That includes the bed which has had a canopy shell on it for as long as I can remember, but will be getting a good spray in bed liner. The truck has it's little issues, which I have another thread for getting all of your advice on. Anyways I'm sure you're all ready for me to shut up and see some pictures lol.

The truck when it was wrecked

The truck sitting at my grandparents house before i brought it home to make it mine

So thanks for looking and feel free to leave or thoughts and opinions, as long as your not telling me I'm stupid or going about this the wrong way. I like being different and weird and one of a kind.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Welcome, and very nice truck! I am extremely jealous of your fully paneled interior of your macro cab. I am missing all the rear plastic trim panels on mine, probably since it wasn't a sport, it would be nice to be able to find them some time. Sounds like you have some good plans for it, be sure to keep us updated on it with lots of pics lol.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    You'll fit right in here if you're weird and different...... if you were normal you would be working on a S-10, Nissan, Ranger or a Toyota P/U

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Man, NICE TRUCK!! Should enjoy it LOTS! Looks almost new inside, and seats make me drool! SOme smart folks on here, so ask, and help usually comes quick!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    You'll fit right in here if you're weird and different...... if you were normal you would be working on a S-10, Nissan, Ranger or a Toyota P/U
    lol fordubishi...they aren't normal...they are just not as weird as us.

I like them space cabs for sure. You can lean back a seat without clunking the back window. Damn I am jealous too!
    Last edited by BradMph; 11-15-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Oh yeah its nice and comfy the seats are in awesome condition too still super comfy and the original stereo sounds great too!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    That damage you had to repair sure looks like a Washington Deer impression.
    DeerinHeadlights.jpg

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    nope colision with another vehicle ive got all the insurance paperwork from it when it happened in feb of 08 and its looked like the pictures without the grill since then until just the other day when i dove head deep into the thing now im just trying to get it to run right get at least 25mpg and hopefully not dump fuel out like its a diesel like it currently is and being able to start when cold would be nice also but i think i fixed one issue with the idle so its getting there as long as the head is good testing will happen this weekend ive got a block tester compression and leakdown to preform

Array
    Status
    Abingdon, VA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    If it has set for a while then you can try to clean the injectors. It worked wonders for mine.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    to keep and rebuild the motor? or swap i cant decide! anybody in the pnw that might want the 2.4 and trans?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Right now, with fuel readily available, people are prone to become complacent. As a 'survivor' of the 1978 "gas crisis", I witnessed people going out and buying huge Chryslers and Cadillacs. Suddenly, the "fuel shortage" caused long lines around the gas stations. High-gas-mileage vehicles became gold mines for sellers.

An eye on the future prompts me to want a vehicle that gets good mileage, can be push started, and that I can work on, because I KNOW it. These factors add up to some degree of independence. A day will come when dropping 675 cubic-inch engines in these trucks will be considered insanity. At present, gas is $3.19 a gallon for regular...and my truck runs on regular. We know the planet is at peak oil, so the price is only going to go up.

Consider that in making your choices, RNMM. Also know that folks like me would consider killing for that interior!!!

I chose this truck for its simplicity. Yours' is an inheritence, and it's for you to do with what you want, but maybe Gramps was giving you the gift of long-lasting economy, for when the days aren't so bright.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    bahahaha this truck doesnt get DICK for mileage my neon gets 35-40mpg and got a best of 42 on the freeway so this is the last thing i care about wth anything else i own the neon is for driving and gas mileage the only reason i would keep the stock engine at this point is to keep it original as a prime example and be a nice little truck for when i want to drive it at this point im leaning heavily towards an srt swap although i have a v8 ready to bolt in and go, kindof.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    the one big thing with keeping the stock motor, besides simplicity and price, would be to get some decent power from the 4g64 sohc as i would run ms off the stock setup and try to get at least 150whp which should be easy for a 2.4

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you want power drop in a kawasaki hayabusa engine. 200 HP and 16000 rpm.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    thats a horrible cost to power ratio i can do a 400hp srt swap for about 2k easy at this point in thinking and internet browsing im at a killer sbm making around 600 plus a 300hp shot of nos OR a 800hp srt swap which would be lighter and not need as much power to break 9s

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    And busa is suzuki btw dunno why i didnt catch that earlier

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Welp its gonna happen. I've got a chrysler edz 2.4 lined up to put into the pickup so i just need to try and adapt it to the stock trans and then make a couple mounts and an exhaust and wire it up and away we go! Shouldn't be too hard just a matter of a little fab work with the grinder and welder and some ac and ps lines so no biggie lol i cant wait to get this started!!!! just have to finish this damn ranger..... and then get my other neon running and fix my sisters so maybe 2 weeks and i can throw the truck in to get this project rolling!

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Looking forward to the swap, hope to see you do it

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    the engine itself will be fairly easy just a couple mounts some wiring make an intake and fab up an exhaust the problem will be the trans as all the options are hydro clutch for bolt up units and the stocker is cable so has anybody gone hydro? i know the fear monger is so ill go check out his thread

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Yes there is a Hydraulic clutch mod available for the trucks and damn if I can remember the name. A member from I think Australia posted pictures and gave information on it. Seemed pretty basic to install and he said he loved it. Someone here should remember seeing the post and will probably post it here for you.

That munched front end reminds me of when I hit a couch on the freeway that fell out of a truck at night. When I pulled over to check damage, there were 4 others on the side of the freeway with smashed front ends also. Mine wasn't too bad, a fender, grill and headlight, no bumper or hood though.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Hydro is easy as long as the trans is already hydro. The 1st gen diesels and the 2nd gen 4x4 v6 both came with a hydraulic clutch so you could always grab the pedal and master from one of them

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    starquests were also hydro clutches and the trannies will swap with the trucks cause they are truck trannies wih stronger internals for the turbo power
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    well at this point im looking at getting a trans that will bolt to the edz instead of trying to mate the stock trans it will be a lot easier since the edz lower bellhousing bolts are about 2" apart up and down so the reason for hydro will be because the trans i will get will be hydro so if theres a pedal and master that i can put on the truck from a v6 truck that will be perfect! now to just find one.... im excited now this is starting to shape up!

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    no pics at the moment but i figured id drop in and let everybody know im alive lol i have an engine for it so now i just need a trans(one sitting at the jy i need to grab ASAP) megasquirt and some time to make it all work lol so maybe if someone will make my old drivetrain pay for a trans that would be great!!!! lol ill get a few pics here soon though for everybody that hates reading

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    So since i have an engine i figured i should get a transmission so i can get this project underway once i can get to it lol. A couple weeks ago i spotted a 2.5 2wd 5 speed dakota at the junkyard. This weekend was another sale for picknpull so i had to jump on it! Today i went and yanked it out and checked out the flywheel which was an 8 bolt like the neon 2.0/2.4 so i figured hmm i wonder if they are the same... So i take off the flywheel and head over to a neon pull the flywheel off and set it up there.... Okay sweet so the center bore is the same and some bolts line up! turn it to try and match them up and go figure they match!!!! One big hurdle taken care of i can use the dakota flywheel and clutch to match the trans and throwout bearing. Now i need to figure out the hydraulics and how to modify them to the 50s clutch pedal so i can use all factory replacement parts. The input shaft of the trans is too long for the 2.4 crank so that will have to be modified but a lot of the big things are now simplified. Pics will come later tonight after they upload so i dont talk too much and bore everybody lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast