Thread: JJ (my Ram 50 Sport)

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Havent done anything really lol. Had other projects and i moved away from my garage so progress is really slow. One thing that did happen is i got an intake from the 420a eclipse and with minimal trimming it bolted on and should work really well for the turbo setup and clearing everything.

Hopefully in a few weeks once im done getting my 73 running ill be starting mockup and building the mounts so i can get the ball rolling on this!

Needed at this point is:
    turbo
    turbo manifold
    srt4 rods & pistons
    misc bs
    time

Array
    Status
    nowhere
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    sweet

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I have a turbo manifold for that engine. It was originally built for the Jeep I boosted.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I would gather turbo parts and build the 2.5 5 speed combo..
    There should be lots of Daytona and lasers to steal all the parts you need for the turbo build.
    maybe you could even find an old super 60 package for it.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I want new electronics and obd2 not the old 8v stuff. If i wanted that i wouldve stuck with the stock engine, and yes i know i couldve easily done a 4g63 swap. Im also a neon guy so the srt stuff is easy to me and way more efficient than the old 8v stuff thats not even a cross flow head.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Its funny how many neon guys have d50s and mighty maxs. Its so much nicer moving engines with a truck, and not on my passenger side floor board.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Right? and the fullsize trucks lol. I keep seeing the same people in the old dodge truck groups/mighty max groups/neon groups. Must be a mopar thing lmao. I actually didnt get to use my little truck as a truck all but one or two times before it broke down and i ripped out the engine lol. My 88w250 does all the heavy lifting anyways.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Loving the junkyard ingenuity.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Aftermarket items are expensive, hard to get, and not as well tested as OEM parts usually. It just requires the correct group of OEM parts and the ability to make them work on different setups. My main goal is to be able to get any part i need from any parts store to fix the truck, besides fuel and turbo bits. It will be my daily for the next 20 years and several hundred thousand miles so serviceability and reliability are key. Just gathering parts has taken almost a year now and total cost of about $1000 or more regular price for just the core parts that i have and I believe I am about $400 into it all. The most common saying you hear in the car world these days is "Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Pick two." I grew up with a different saying, "Time, Money, Skill. A combination of two and you can do anything you want. Enough money and you can pay someone for the other two." I lack in funds so it takes time and skill, both in building and sourcing the parts so I take the time to find what i want from the one place where parts are cheap. The rest of it is doing the opposite of what most people do, Merrill excluded being one of the few I've seen to make a solution to the problem not just "fixing it", and that is to make sure everything is compatible, serviceable, and reliable.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Bump for ancient history it seems? lol Project is not dead or forgotten just on a back back burner unfortunately. Just moved across the state to spokane and looking for a place to store/work on the truck since im in an apartment. Anyway does anybody here have megasquirt on their truck? I've been thinking and planning what i need to do to the truck and what all i need for it and looking for anybody else who is using an aftermarket ecu on their truck. One of the main things im worried about is the transmission im using has a speed sensor in the trans while the truck uses a mechanical speedometer. I want to retain the factory gauges instead of spending way too much money of aftermarket ones but i want the ecu to get a speed input. Does anybody have any ideas of a solution?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    O.k. so where did you source your transmission? You might have to get creative and pull the instrument panel from the same model donor vehicle and graft it into the dash...

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...oh, and I've been wondering how this build was going. It'll be interesting how it's all come together and runs when you get to the turn-key state.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckmoparman
    I want to retain the factory gauges instead of spending way too much money of aftermarket ones but i want the ecu to get a speed input. Does anybody have any ideas of a solution?
    There are 10's if not hundreds of dual sensor units (cable+"vr" in one housing) available...

Try http://www.standardbrand.com/en/products/sensors/ for reference.

Granted, sensor diameter, cable fitment, driven gear, and hold down will be issues.
    However, soooo many have been produced, research may yield an viable option
    to dash/gauge work

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    The trans is from an early 90s dakota. Its an AX15 similar to whats used in the jeeps and has the factory speed sensor.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Its been a long time but im finally working on the truck. Just got the floor cut up and getting the drivetrain final position worked out. I will post a full update and fix and add pictures this week.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Wow, GREAT to see you again, RNMM !! And real happy that you're still working with JJ.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks Roy! I can never get rid of the truck after inheriting it from my grandpa. Glad to be making some progress though it has been far too long since I have driven it! On a side note though can anybody get me the angle of the drivetrain? I believe the entire drivetrain sits at 3* and the offset is to the side with the driveline to driveshaft being 0* up and down. Anybody with a long bed or macrocab that could find out for me would be great!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123