Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

4G64 2.4 liter 16v SOHC out of a 96-99 Montero Sport

Am I missing something here or would these bolt right in to a wideblock tranny out of the 2.4 liter? Are engine mounts different? Puts out a healthy 150HP as is.

Alternatively, would the 16v heads bolt on to the 2.4 block?

It was made for RWD so you wouldn't have to bash the firewall or mess with water pipes, right?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Still not sure about the engine mounts. But this thread makes it seem like you'd need to borrow a flex plate, spacer and adapter.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...e=&fpart=&vc=1

The number of combinations and dozen different answers to the same question in the Mitsubishi inline 4 world is both frustrating and comical. It's like Wheel of Fortune if this thing will fit to that bit.

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Never had one physicly to compare but I always though these were a good option as well, just hard to find.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    What if I told you I found a complete used engine from oil pan to valve cover with both manifolds, timing belt cover, no core charge, free shipping and a 5 year warranty for $1300?

Or, if you found a used 2.4 Monty runner or even a rollover, you could do the rear axle, rear disc brake swap, get the harness, ECU and all the sensors and the engine and transmission and fancy interior bits like seats and dash and stereo, etc. all at once? And bolt that shit in to a Mighty Max? For around $2000?

There has to be a catch, like the mounts are for the big V6 on our trucks instead of the 4 banger mounts. Or something that will make it not quite fit, like everything else Mitsubishi. Too good to be true. What's the catch?

I spent a few hours last night comparing gaskets of all types. I think the simplest way to do this would be a straight head swap on the 2nd version of the 2.4 FI truck motor. Instant 16v. I'm guessing the only difference between the 16v SOHC and 8v SOHC was the head, and the new OBD2 ECU. I'm assuming the freer flowing head and a more advanced version of the ROM (maybe?) could account for the power bump from 116 HP or whatever it was on the truck to 132 HP on the Monty. Everything else looks the same. But what do I know.

But then there was also that one random oddball 4G64 16V Mighty Max the JDM engine importer company had for a minute that put out a claimed 150 HP. But that figure easily could have been a typo or exaggeration.

So is there yet another version of this engine?

So confusing...

EDIT: Scratch that $1300 engine, found out lowmileageparts.com is a front for A1 Auto Dismantlers in an unsavory part of New Jersey and they're crooks.
    Last edited by noahwins; 11-14-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    the mounts will bolt up but you would have to use the compete ecu harness or make a patch harness to use the newer computer in a older truck, I am getting a patch harness made for my truck to use a ecu of out a 98 and up mitusbishi ecu for my turbo project.the 2.4 sohc 16 can make 150hp-170hp, these some making 230hp with some work done, Are you converting you truck to fuel injection,or are you looking for more power

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    More power. In my heart I want a crate 4D56 but they're so expensive and it's in the grey area as far as legality in California (could be made perfectly legal but it would take some creativity). The 4G64 would be legal no problem.

The 2.0 is pretty gutless. It's not great on gas for what it is. I like the simplicity of carbs but all of the emissions equipment and spaghetti spill vacuum lines dirty up the G63B. I'm agnostic towards FI/carb, open to either option. No real preference. If anything I favor simplicity and reliability (and economy, as I get older) more that bleeding edge power.

What's the upgrade path to 150-170 HP? Sounds just about right for a Mighty Max, I wouldn't want more. It would be nice to be able to tow a pop-up camper. I love turbos but unless it's a diesel, NA is what I'm looking for right now.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    intake, exhaust, cam, but you might around 145-160 with all the emission equipment since your in california, they have similar intake manifold setup