Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting really annoyed. In need of a new fuel tank...

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other

Getting really annoyed. In need of a new fuel tank...

I know there are threads on here about fuel tanks and how no one makes a second gen tank, but can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 1st gen and 2nd gen tank? I have found 1st gen tanks everywhere for around $174 and I'm tempted to get it, but I don't know if my sending unit will fit properly and it all the hoses will go on with no problem. I wouldn't mind going with an aftermarket tank for a different vehicle or a fuel cell if I could keep everything the way it is (hoses and sending unit). And btw my truck is an 88 power ram sport 4wd. This truck is my daily driver and it leaks gas like you couldn't believe. Any ideas or any one know what manufacture makes a "close enough" tank that could work? Thought about getting my tanked sealed, but I'm not sure if it's leaking at the seem, can't tell because the whole back section towards the inside of the truck is soaked in gas (got a lighter?). The guy said if it is leaking at the seem (center section where bottom half meets the top half) then it's not worth getting it done. Idk, I'm getting fed up wasting soo much fuel, at least I get 22-25 mpg, even with a leaky tank. (diff motor and trans). Anyways sorry for the long read, lol, but any help will be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The boxy Chevy S10 has a very similar layout for the tank and crossmembers that hold it in place. That might be close enough to get it to work but I don't know for sure.

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I'll give take a look whenever I get to the junkyard. And I got looking last night, its not as bad looking as I though. Might get it refurbished, but now I'm finding out my frame is shot, and there's a mighty max at the junkyard that's split in half, so that's a bit scary. Now i got to source out a frame and me living in Ohio isn't what I call prime territory for rust free vehicles. Guess I'll start scrounging the web for vehicles down south. Anyways thanks for the info, I'll give it a look.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I'd imagine if you take measurements, the back half of the S10 would be very close to the Mighty Max. As in close enough to maybe score a junkyard back half and make two welds to the front of the frame. The S10 is laid out basically the same as our trucks.

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Around here, probably like most places, the s10 is just as shot or worst lol. People drive those things till they do break. I'll probably just throw some metal at it and cross the fingers for now.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I know of an 89 long bed Ram 50 with a 2.6 and 5spd that the guy wants to sell cheap with a good frame, if you don't mind coming to Pittsburgh to get it - it will run, but needs the tank drained of old gas.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I don't even know how different the frames are from a long bed and I'm guessing a reg cab to mine which has the sport cab (macro cab???) And right at this moment I'm holding off until I get some other projects finished. My Buick needs a trans rebuild done to it, and I need to get my '68 f250 rebuilt so I got a wood truck, instead of using my friends truck that's around 300,000 miles on board. I even thought about building a frame or finding heavy built frame rails and throw something together. Idk, I'll see what comes my way whenever I get to that point, but thanks for the heads up.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the extended cab and the long bed frames are the same length, but the mounts are in different places. But it is a 2wd and yours is a 4wd.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    ext cab and single cab tanks are a lot different, I've had both and have a macro cab now. I was running a single cab tank on my truck, but it was relocated behind the axle. You want to find one for the same body style and length truck as you have.

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I was kinda thinking that, but like I said before, I'm just going to refurbish it. All the junkyards I go to, the people say that those vehicles are too old for them to hold on to. They only keep newer stuff. The one yard I went to just crushed to d50's and a montero a few months back. It's a shame, but it's a business, they do what they gotta do.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The Mazda trucks are kind of close to our trucks aren't they?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Good topic, great replies.

I have an eye on the future, so want to ask: supposing I successfully a.) locate a proper fuel tank, or b.) create one, what after-market fuel pump would I use for a F.I. 2.4 4G64? I know nothing about pressures, how to adjust them or anything of the sort. If you could FIND a stock replacement fuel pump new, it's looking at $300 and upwards. That's a lot of donut money I could be spending on glazed and chocolate-covered snacks. Nothing could be cruller

At present, my patched fuel tank is okay and the pump runs fine. (I replaced the filter and I swear, the old one was the original! FILTHY AND CLOGGED). I'm concerned about being out in Banjo-Music territory when the pump decides to experience Deliverance...or the lack thereof. I don't LIKE squealing like a pig.

Directing my to a pertenant thread is cool, and expert experience is even better. Many of you Old Guys have created some awesome parts and replacements, and your resourcefulness is not only stunning, it is so appreciated.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    One other option, depending on the condition of your current tank is to use an epoxy sealer. I know a few guys who have used the Eastwood product with success, it's designed specifically for fuel tanks. Have you had your tank or bed off to inspect it? It might not be as bad as you think. Good luck!
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I dropped the tank to repair a leak in the line. The tank itself seems alright, though I did promise myself to paint it some day. And an expoxy sealer sounds like good preventative maintenance.

I'm more concerned about locating a fuel pump when the time comes, and don't want to shell out $400. They really aren't available through NAPA or Advanced.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    The Eastman epoxy goes into the tank after it has been removed, drained and cleaned, I am sure there are examples on the net.
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Tons of replacement fuel pumps for your '90 on rockauto.com from $25 - $220

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Excellent, DM. Thanks huge amounts, I'll check it out and order from there.

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Have you looked around here...they ship
    http://www.rchillmitsubishi.com/parts/order-form.htm

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    check out this link for a fuel pump http://car-part.com . You might find on in your state.

Array
    Status
    NOLA
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Forgive me if taboo to revive such an old thread - but curious if anyone has dealt with this issue .
    My 1990’s fuel tank has a small leak.

I looked up fuel tanks all I can find is 1st gen , for around 150$ shipped. Or the parts guy gave me a quote for 800$ for a 2nd gen one when I got tires swapped at NTB haha..

I have a semi complete parts truck I’ll be dropping the tank off to inspect today .
    My dilemma - the resealing POR 15 kits are almost the same price as a new 1st gen tank! So if a 1st gen tank will work fairly easily, I would rather go with new than reseal an old one for the same price. Not to mention less labor! Any advise super appreciated!

cheers,

G

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Look on Car-Part.com. There are some fuel tanks available across the United States. Probably get for less than $100.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Anybody ever try this custom tank place in IA? I wonder if they can modify a similar tank with the correct hardware.

www.tanksinc.com

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    I had a very hard time finding a replacement fuel tank . Ended up buying a whole parts truck and used it.
    Unfortunately the pick your own part junkyards around here punch a hole in all the fuel tanks . Ridiculous since there is a drain plug but that is what they do.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Most are shaped the same the difference is often the connections that separate them between models so your a lot closer then you think, find a local repair shop or call that place in IA it’s what the specialize in custom tanks.

Array
    Status
    NOLA
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Ah forgot about car-part.com ! Thanks Andy
    The scrap truck i dropped a tank from was in worse shape than mine haha. Time for a trip to Eunice, LA aka middle of no where to the scrapper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast