Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

New to the scene

So wanted to introduce myself, I am new to the forum and the truck scene completely.

Little information about myself: Up until recently I was driving a 94 mx-6 but got t-boned by a 17 yr old kid running a red light, sadly no witnesses to say who did what.So needless to say after putting my blood sweat and tears into a car I built from the ground up it's time to start a new project. So got enough to get another vehicle and found what the truck. Picked up my Dodge Ram 50 2wd with the 2.6 4cyl for $1,000. It's a 5speed 183k on the body with 100k on the engine roughly. The body is pretty decent shape, minus the beat up front bumper and lights.

So I am planning on making this truck into a frankenstein project almost. The paints faded, peeling off so I am thinking of making this almost into a zombie style truck. That's the plan.

So what I am coming here to ask is get some idea's of where to get parts (used/new). The front lower bumper is pretty dented in where it ran into a stump so any suggestions or idea's where to get a new one. The air filter cover (metal top) is missing, a suggestion to get one as well would be appreciated. Any suggestions on fixes/checks soon as well. This is my first dodge/mitsubishi but I have been reading for about 3 days on idea's. Trying to make this truck reliable, fun and enjoyable.

Thank you for your time.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome im still new here myself but your best bet for any parts is going to be a local junk yard or with the zombie theme just build a custom off road style bumper

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Check out the front bumper from 94-96, it's much beefier and is a bolt on replacement for any second generation truck. I think it looks better but that is up to the individual. I found both of mine in local salvage yards, you might want to use cart-part.com to help locate one in your area. Best of luck, be sure to post photos if you can.
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Local junkyards here don't even have these trucks sadly. I think about making a deer guard style front bumper for cheap since I got a friend who can weld.

I do have a few questions if anyone can answer. I know NOTHING about carbs at all, this is actually the first one i've ever owned/drove myself (24yrs old). I noticed the heater hose coming from the exhaust manifold to the intake tube was missing. Is that a huge issue or would it be safe to weld it shut and by pass? I am asking is cause the tube beside it is to close to actually sit the heater hose back on top. As well the headlights and tail lights work, but I try to mess with the lights (changing the brightness) the radio shuts off and they don't work period. I'm thinking short to ground somewhere. The engine code is a G54B with a B1T color code. I know the color code won't matter but figured i'd mention it. Will upload pictures soon.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Not sure where in NC you are but I see 3 listed within 100 miles of Charlotte.
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Rockledge, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    The radio is tied into the light dimmer. It dims the ground wire. What I did when I replaced my radio is take power and ground from the clock connector. It's the little compartment up high in the center of the dash if u don't have a clock. Pulls out easy

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Yeah all the ones I found by me are around 100+ miles away from my location. Not really comfortable driving this truck that far, to and from work and such it seems stout so far. But a few minor things I want to change first before taking it to far.

Does anyone have any experience with the headlights? I want to change it to the H4 conversion kits. Found them all over ebay for $60 but I looked on another forum they are saying 6x7 or something and the ones on ebay are like 8x7 or something. I searched the "Mitsubishi mighty max headlight conversion" not sure if the headlights are the same or different.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Standered 5X7 lights, just pick up a set of Bosch 5x7 H4's, think the sets are under $100

Array
    Status
    west valley, silicon valley, bay area, ca
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Sorry to hear about the MX-6.
    One of my car projects is a '95 PGT that I'm doing a KLZE swap.
    I knew daredevils and I ain't got nothin' against them, ........it's just they're all dead.