Thread: Fiberglass composite leaf springs?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Fiberglass composite leaf springs?

Has anyone tried these for our trucks? I was reading about them last night. They seem to be popular with the autocross guys. You can have them custom made for your application (lifted, stock, lowering, etc.) and select a spring rate. Super lightweight and cleaner looking that the metal leafs.

www.flex-form.com

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    The guy got back to me:

We can make our composite monoleafs for your truck. We don’t have them in stock. We can make them for the lowered ride height you are looking for. Base price would be $425 for a pair plus $12 shipping surcharge to get them to Cal. Contact us again to discuss spring rates or if you have other questions. Thanks for the inquiry.
    That's a lot of money but if they don't rust and are custom made for the application...

Array
    Status
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Interesting indeed. I'm looking to do some suspension work on my truck. Might have to give these guys a call.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    There was a company making mono leaf springs for our trucks. Cant recall the name but I think it was the same place that sold drop spindles. The springs were around 200 but the shipping charge brought the total closer to those custom ones. Ive never had a set of monoleafs personally but have heard they're very stiff. Harsh ride. Custom units could possibly ride better

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I have eBay "Mighty Max" monoleafs that were clearly made for an S10 and the ride is harsh. Also the eyes are 0.25" too narrow. Want to get something that rides well and actually fits.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1979 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B
    I'll Let you know how my "Lowered Leafs" from Chassis Tech are when they get here and I get them on.
    (they appear to be only One full length leaf and then a shorter second one centered underneath)
    Not quite "mono" but close.

Although the fiberglass mono leaf Does intrigue me ,,, but the cost is a bit much.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    The price isn't bad at all in my opinion. You would spend a whole lot more than $437 for a 4 link and coilovers for racing (or stout daily driving).

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1979 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrill View Post
    The price isn't bad at all in my opinion. You would spend a whole lot more than $437 for a 4 link and coilovers for racing (or stout daily driving).
    True enough ,,, But it All depends on your application and what you're looking for.
    I don't have a race truck, and I just want mine to have a nice Looow stance and ride decent.
    I can get lowered leafs that will accomplish that in the 200$ range ,,, so there you go.
    Now if I was stuffing a V8 in it ,,, well ,,, then That's a different Story ! LOL