Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Group buy of brand new 4D56 turbo engines?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Group buy of brand new 4D56 turbo engines?

Seeing as there's so much interest in these things, is anyone interested in maybe putting together a group buy of brand new crate 4D56 engines? We could buy them straight from the Hyundai distributor and if we bought more than one, it would be more cost effective in terms of shipping and price per unit.

MaxOverdrive.ca's prices have shot up in recent months, they're around US$4400 now. I bet we can do better if we go straight to the source.

I live a few miles from the Port of Oakland which gets tons of cargo from Korea so I could sign for them and try to coordinate shipping them across the US.

Anyone interested?

Array
    Status
    Ringgold ga
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    im interested for the right price..

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    What's the right price?

Array
    Status
    Ringgold ga
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    i guess cheaper than $4400..

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    If you cut out the middle man and buy in bulk you should be able to get them for about $3k shipped to your door. I think that's the magic number.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Bump. That is the magic number. Anyone else interested?

Array
    Status
    hartford ct
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Shogun
    Engine

4D55-T
    yep. I am interested. My compression numbers on my 4d55 are 300 290 290 and 180............. still starts and runs tho.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Let's round up as many people as we can from as many boards as we can. I don't imagine this would be a quick process but let's start asking around...

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I had a contact that fell through for 22oo complete (as pictured for 4400) with A/c compressor and all accessories. (made by Hyundai through Taiwan...even put in a deposit thankfully via Paypal so I could get it back if anything wasn't as advertised. The price went up to 3000, and they tried to switch me to used engine. This was for a qty. of 5. I later had a Chinese source (supposedly) for used complete assy's who priced used engines from a Japanese supplier for 995.00, but found one locally I almost bought, so never followed through. I'd be interested in one as the local one is not rebuildable (or complete).

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Also (for your protection, I'd get a deposit for list placement, and escrow payment or something...I would also see if I can find my emails/contacts for you to pursue further...if that helps..

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I found a few on Yahoo! Japan Auctions but the price ended up being just a little less than what you'd pay for one on eBay.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I was poking around Sulit which is like eBay for the Philippines and there are plenty of Mitsubishi trucks and diesel engines are available. But after the hurricane, I would be very wary of buying anything used from the Philippines because all of the flooded vehicles and parts are going to hit the market. Unless we had a broker in Manila or something to guarantee what we're buying.

There is a HUGE Filipino community in the Bay Area (specifically Daly City just south of SF) so there are well established, frequent shipping options between Port of Oakland or Port of SF and the Philippines. So shipping across the Pacific wouldn't be insanely expensive. Also the dollar is much stronger against the Philippine peso than against the yen or Korean won. So we could save a little cash that way. But the risk of getting bad parts or something going wrong with the transaction is higher in the Philippines than dealing with someone in Japan or Korea.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
    I had a contact that fell through for 22oo complete (as pictured for 4400) with A/c compressor and all accessories. (made by Hyundai through Taiwan...
    I think I might trust something from Taiwan if there's some kind of guarantee it's OEM. I would NOT trust anything from Mainland China. It's all fake, counterfeit junk AFAIC.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    My brother goes to the Philippines pretty regularly and owns 2 homes and a merchant store there. He has some ties also with the natives as well.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    No kidding?? Think he could source this stuff?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Another option is a group buy of used 4D56 eninges from a reputable shop in Vancouver, BC called Rising Sun Imports that specializes in importing Delicas. They say they have 5 engines in stock right now. They come with new accessories and gaskets before they sell, unlike the crapshoot with shady eBay mystery motors.

http://rs-import.ca/index.php

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    I would not buy a 4d56 period unless it was made in Korea or Japan. If it is from taiwan its guaranteed junk. Spencer is dreaming for $3000.00 You will not get one for less than $4000 period and if you do it's either hot which is ok or its junk and won't last. Be realistic!

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I may be interested, get some prices and who will be making it!

Array
    Status
    Burlingame, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    I'd be interested in a group buy if we could be sure of Korean manufacture and a price closer to $3,000. I'm close to port of Oakland too.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I think the best thing is to do it right the first time and get the Hyundai 4D56 straight from Korea instead of messing with used engines. Obviously the more we order, the better the deal. How many people do we have right now who are firm on this? I'm guessing around 5 would be the minimum order but I could be wrong.

Um...do we know anyone who speaks Korean?

Maybe we could post something on pirate4x4 and the diesel forums, I bet there would be some interest in these there.

Array
    Status
    Burlingame, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    A new crate 4D56 was for sale on Craigs List SF Bay Area recently with a picture of three large shipping boxes in the background. The ad said they bought three to economize on shipping costs. Think they sold it easily because the ad never appeared again.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Interesting. I know there was a guy in Seattle who did the same thing, he had two for sale. He was selling it for $4200.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Bump, looks like this might happen for a great price. Please reply to the thread or PM me if you're interested.

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    This whole process is much more complicated than you think. As mikewarme stated, you will want the engines from South Korea, not China, Taiwan, or the Philippians. The other issue is getting the correct engine. These things are not a direct bolt in due to the oil pan but I think Kia does make a model that is more compatible than than one I purchased. With out confusing you too much I will keep it simple. The 4D56T Kia engines that are being imported are model D4BF. That's Korean speak for 4D56T. You will need to check and see if the D4BA or the D4BB models are more suitable for swaps than the D4BF.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I've already taken care of that and have quotes for 3 different versions of the engine. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast