Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Group buy of brand new 4D56 turbo engines?

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    I've already taken care of that and have quotes for 3 different versions of the engine. Thanks.
    But have you figured out which one is best for swapping in place of a 4d55 engine?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Over the last year or so, I've spent a lot of time reading about these engines and their applications in L200/Triton trucks on UK, Aussie, Filipino, Caribbean and New Zealander boards. Not that theoretical knowledge is the same worth that practical experience has. I'd like to think I'm not flying totally blind here (I hope), I'd done homework, but I'm sure everyone would be happy to hear any advice you have to give.

I'm also not doing a straight swap on a 1st Gen like you did. Is there some issue you've run into with the oil pan that I haven't read about? The only potential issue I've seen is two bolt holes on the oil pan don't quite line up when swapping all the accessories over from a 4D55 on a straight long block swaps. Everything else I've read says it's essentially bolt-in like any Mitsubishi wideblock because the form factor hasn't changed since the 4D55 days.

There were some issue with fitment when you upgraded the turbo on the brown restoration truck, IIRC, right?
    Last edited by noahwins; 01-09-2014 at 07:01 AM.

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    Over the last year or so, I've spent a lot of time reading about these engines and their applications in L200/Triton trucks on UK, Aussie, Filipino, Caribbean and New Zealander boards. Not that theoretical knowledge is the same worth that practical experience has. I'd like to think I'm not flying totally blind here (I hope), I'd done homework, but I'm sure everyone would be happy to hear any advice you have to give.

I'm also not doing a straight swap on a 1st Gen like you did. Is there some issue you've run into with the oil pan that I haven't read about? The only potential issue I've seen is two bolt holes on the oil pan don't quite line up when swapping all the accessories over from a 4D55 on a straight long block swaps. Everything else I've read says it's essentially bolt-in like any Mitsubishi wideblock because the form factor hasn't changed since the 4D55 days.

There were some issue with fitment when you upgraded the turbo on the brown restoration truck, IIRC, right?
    The exhaust and the turbo are different an that does effect the way the exhaust bolts up. This is not a big deal but needs to be accounted for when making a swap. The valve cover and the head are different.

The valve cover on a Mitsubishi 4D56 has 2 bolts for the valve cover and the Kia 4D56 has 3 bolts. To make the two interchangeable you will need to machine the head. Machining the head and adding the Mitsubishi Valve cover is about $400. Not a big deal but this is something buyer should be aware of.

The alternator is different and you will need to address this wiring issue.

The oil pan is reversed. One is a front sump, while the other is a rear sump. This is kind of a pain and can be a bit pricey to address. Plan on spending a couple hundred bucks to address this issue.

The water by-pass pipe on the Kia 4D56 end in a 45* instead of a 90* angle like is found on the Mitsubishi 4D56. This is like a $50 Fix.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    If you're dropping in the motor, the valve cover issue is moot, right? I don't mind if it says Kia instead of Mitsubishi on the valve cover.

I was planning on making and running a straight pipe direct off the hot side.

I was planning on buying a custom aluminum radiator and plumbing it however it needed to be plumbed.

Am I reading this right or is the only fitment issue the oil pan hitting the crossmember?

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    The oil pan issue is the only issue that some creative piping can't resolve. The exhaust needs upgrading as its larger on diesel and cat must be eliminated on a diesel. As we discussed yesterday, I'm in if it comes together. Thanks for the work re these..Much appreciated!

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Depends on what vehicle the 1st and 2nd gen trucks def will not accept a new engines oil pan due to the front diff. I used a NOS mitsubishi oil pan and strainer and fit perfect. Of coarse you will find the nipple for the vacuum pump drain smaller on the mitsu pan because hyundai uses their own alternator and vac pump so it has a bigger fitting than the mitsu version. The hyundai also uses a Garret turbo. You can't expect to get a complete motor for $3000.00 shipped . If you find one it will be a mainland china replica and they do exist! They last about 10,000 miles like the ebay turbos

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I'm dealing with Hyundai direct.

Array
    Status
    everett wa
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    OK so i signed up just to post on this thread.Im looking at putting one in a 4runner. Im haveing trouble getting a good low mile toyota diesel.
    So if you can get them 3k i would be very interested! I would have to take a road trip down and pick it up from you...

jcl

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    You MAY want to rethink your position on the Chinese turbo's. I have had great luck using them, and Corky Bell (BEGI) engineering, turbo kit Grandmaster, sells and recommends them as well. He (if unfamiliar with him) started /owned Cartech back in the 1980's and designed very good and successful turbo kits for CRX, Miata, BMW, and MANY others! Also, my research has NOT found ANY Chinese 4d55/56t knock offs. In fact, the used engines I was quoted were actually Japanese pullouts (probably mostly except fro some wrecked vehicles), and were therefore priced higher than buying direct from Japanese dismantlers. I sure wish I could buy one of these engines TODAY...been looking for used ones all morning with NO LUCK!! Arrgh! My 4g 64 needs a head, and I'd RATHER just swap one of these in instead...

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    ALso, Mr performance, we all are in 2wd MMaxes, without front diff's....Why so negative on this attempted GBuy?? More engines = more prospective customers for your products..and you aren't selling these so what gives?

Array
    Status
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    i might be interested. I have a rusty gen 1 diesel and i just can't seem to part with it. I'm thinking of getting an 86 body and putting a new diesel engine and rebuilt trans in it. is this GB still alive?

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
    Why so negative on this attempted GBuy??
    I don't think I will dignify this with a comment.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    You MAY want to rethink your position on the Chinese turbo's. I have had great luck using them, and Corky Bell (BEGI) engineering, turbo kit Grandmaster, sells and recommends them as well. He (if unfamiliar with him) started /owned Cartech back in the 1980's and designed very good and successful turbo kits for CRX, Miata, BMW, and MANY others! Also, my research has NOT found ANY Chinese 4d55/56t knock offs. In fact, the used engines I was quoted were actually Japanese pullouts (probably mostly except fro some wrecked vehicles), and were therefore priced higher than buying direct from Japanese dismantlers. I sure wish I could buy one of these engines TODAY...been looking for used ones all morning with NO LUCK!! Arrgh! My 4g 64 needs a head, and I'd RATHER just swap one of these in instead...
    There are plenty of 4d55/4d56 turbos chinese made and they are total garbage like all chinese parts. I would not trust them for anything. They can't even make toothpaste if you remember!! And the low mileage engines are a lie. Ok to buy but do not pay much for them consider them cores! I am speaking with plenty expierience

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Did y'all order your engines yet?

Array
    Status
    everett wa
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Not yet. I can't remember who it was that was going to supply the engines? I think the quote was for a d4be? Or d4bf?
    Remail me the info I'm going to move forward on getting an engine.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by a914622 View Post
    Not yet. I can't remember who it was that was going to supply the engines? I think the quote was for a d4be? Or d4bf?
    Remail me the info I'm going to move forward on getting an engine.

Is this group buy dead?

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I'm still in if
    this is happening! There is anther importer/installer shop on a 4x4 forum selling used for 1800 and new for 3500 (Hyundai's) complete.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Tommy, we might be getting this going again. PM me and username plh, he has some connects in South Korea.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    I'm still in if
    this is happening! There is anther importer/installer shop on a 4x4 forum selling used for 1800 and new for 3500 (Hyundai's) complete.
    $3500 landed in USA? Link to the forum listing please.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Tgtbt?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12