Thread: Gas Mileage

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If you go to a higher ratio in the diff can you swap the speedometer drive gear from the tranny so your speedometer will read true?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    yes if you can find one that matches the ratio you put in - not sure if they can be bought a a dealer anymore.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    the final gear goes in the rear end the different trannys just were built with different sets and pennyman the gears fit all they just dont bolt in to the carrier you have to actually swap the ring and pinion and if i could find an auto mm in a jy i would do that instead and if i could find a lsd that would be icing on the cake to swap in lower gears and an lsd at the same time

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I was referring to the speedo gears that go in the tailshaft of the tranny - they have to be changed when the rear gears change. Look for a 1st gen montero for an lsd that will drop right into the rear if you don't want to get a power grip lsd
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I don't know if changing the gear ratio will make that much of a difference. The bottom end torque will be reduced and your engine will have to work harder to accelerate at the same rate you do now. Also will probably have to gear down more going up grades. My 4x4 5 speed will cruise up a fairly good hill in 5th gear at 55 mph just by giving a bit more gas. The 2wd automatic always drops out of overdrive to go up a grade unless cruising at 65 mph or so. 2800-3000 rpm seems to give me pretty good fuel economy with the 5 speed

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you have to look at the height difference compared to the stock 26" tires - if the tires are taller it raises the effective axle ratio(numerically lower) which moves the power band and makes the truck have less pickup. Lowering the ratio in the axles (numerically higher) brings the motor rpms up faster into the motors power band, restoring original performance or improving it, at the cost of the top end speed. With the right gears, running tall tires can give almost stock economy and power, provided the weight difference isn't substantial
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Weatherford, OK
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    How about an electric golf cart motor bolted engine block to the driver's side that connects to the harmonic balancer by belt or chain. That is, if you don't have anything there already. It would only make sense for in town driving while accelerating.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to the site drphills87.Im not sure I understand golf cart motor idea. Could you give us a bit more detail please.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Them gears are often used in a variety of trans, just take the old one to a dealer that has inventory for those type of trans.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Golf...what? Putting load onto the crank via the harmonic balancer sounds like a recipe for disaster (and how do you disengage it?) I have been wrong before but...

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Are you talking about using an electric motor as a power assist? What powers the electric motor? If you power it off the trucks alternator you will have to burn more fuel, just like running ac. You can't make electricity without an energy source. If you cover the truck in solar panels and charge batteries with them just for the golf cart motor you may be on to something. How would you regulate the power it required so that it actually assisted the motor instead of loading it down. Like geezer101 says though, loading the crank from the balancer might not be wise.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Gas is now $1.30 a liter up here. Almost $5 a U.S. Gal. Has anyone looked into propane conversion? It's only $0.69 a liter. I know it doesn't give the same power as gas but it burns a lot cleaner. No need to worry about emission tests, and you can use longer oil change intervals.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    You need to build the engine to run Propane. You need hardened seats,Stainless Steel Valves, compression 12:1-14:1, and replace the carb/efi to run the propane.Plus the tanks. Yes you can do duel fuel or the crappy conversion kits but you will be replacing heads every year or 2. The conversion kits are a pain in the butt as if the temp drops below -10C they are a pain to start.By the time you have done all the work you will have somewhere around $4000-$5000 into the conversion.

Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    I had an old Chevy V-8 pickup that was converted to dual fuel. It was fine for no/low load driving, but you could really feel the power loss on hills or with a load. We decided that the cost savings did not justify the down side lack of power and the loss of 1/2 of the bed to the tank. The story we heard when we bought it was that the conversion had originally been done by a rancher in Texas who lived so far outside of town that he basically ran out of gas by the time he got home with the stock set-up, knowing he had to get back to fill up again. So he converted to propane to give himself the range and put in a huge tank.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I knew propane didn't have the same bang for the buck as gas and with a 4 cyl. engine the power loss would probably be even more noticeable.I did some checking around and called a couple of places that do conversions. They told me that you need about 15% more propane to go the same distance. I guess the price of tanks has really gone up as well and I was given prices between $4000 and $5000 to do a conversion. So add that to the down side of that idea. You can buy a lot of gas for that kind of money.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I did some research and found the G63B was used in LP forklifts. If you could find a used one of those for a reasonable price you could buy it for the motor and scrap/sell the rest.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You can get an improvement on power if you tune the engine to run on the stuff. You will also need to add an upper cylinder lubricant feed to the intake to prevent the issues of valve wear. The upside is LPG is cheaper than regular fuel but the downsides are the amount of space the LPG tanks take up and the extra fuel consumption. You will find that engine oil looks cleaner for longer when using LPG and the combustion chambers don't carbon up (but don't be a monkey and think you can get away with doing extended duration oil changes) - and if you run into issues you will need to take it to an experienced LPG technician. And yes, trying to start an engine running on LPG when it's really cold is a biatch. Messing with LPG is not an option for the DIY mechanic as a system leak could turn your truck into a rolling inferno...

Array
    Status
    Elizabethton, Tenn
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    My 89' 4x4 standard cab mighty max gets about 19 around town and about 24-25 on the high way cruising in 5th gear usually. Its a 2.6 with the weber carb kit. And it seems to be very constant as far as I have monitored.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Wow this took a left turn from my original post lmao but I love it and running a emoter off the crank could work I've seen other homemade set ups like it that use a motor to assist the engine to allow less throttle to accelerate but usually on a diesel and would likely have small returns on the inefficient 4g6x sohc 8v motors

Array
    Status
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    95 2.4 2wd. 24-25 usually no matter what I'm doing. Highest I got was 28 being grandpa moses on the interstate.

2 1/4" catback exhaust with no cat is the only thing done performance wise.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    On my 90 and 94 i would get 24-27 mpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12