Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B

new guy

Ok I'm new here, so forgive me if I don't know some things. A friend on another forum turned me to this one. I got an 84 Montero awhile back. My daughter turned 16 and loves this thing and the price was right. The guy that I got it from had taken the head off to repair a head gasket. The head was bad, so I thought I would just fix it. After looking for a long time finally decided to get a new one. The guy that was ordering the head heard about two complete engines cheaper than the head was gonna cost me. So after trying to put a complete engine in, had to take two to make one. After ALL this, I finally got it running! Now I need help with vac lines and a fan shroud. Sorry for the long post, guess I'm looking for sympathy! Got two teenage daughters and a grown woman that just don't understand. Thanks, Kevin.

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Sorry, it's a 2.6.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    There is a factory d50 manual that should give you an idea on where things go. There should also be a sticker on the hood. If that does not look correct then we have an 86 and up manual in the manual section in the over 216 manual post. Or we have this. http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...Vacuum-Diagram but this is second gen. I would guess bradMPH will find just what you are looking for. He knows where a bunch of diagrams in the tech section and wiki are. OH don't forget to look / search in the archive board. Link at the top. What you are looking for is on here some where. It just takes some time to figure out how the search works.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks camoit. I'll do some searching, just wasn't sure where to start.

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks camoit. I'll do some searching, just wasn't sure where to start. What about a weber carb? We don't have emissions test here.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome - somethimes women just don;t understand the Ram 50 MM Montero / Raider thing....

Array
    Status
    Waynesboro, PA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey kla, welcome. I don't know if you might find this helpful (assuming I embedded the image correctly), but I found this diagram back when I was trying to do my weber conversion on my 2.6L engine. The only catch is, if you have the Mikuni Feedback carb, there are more hoses then what is pictured. But this should give you an idea of the hoses under the hood.

hoserouting.gif

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Link to a bunch of Montero 4-cyl vacuum line pictures. If you need more, PM me.

https://imageshack.com/a/MFF6/1

Russell

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for all the help. Just realized that I haven't setup my notifications, so I didn't know that you guys were leaving messages. Like I said, thanks a million for the help, but I purchased a weber and done away with all the crap! Just one problem, I can't get my throttle hooked up. I've tried what the instructions said, and tried twice to contact weber, guess the holidays has something to do with it.

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahlr View Post
    Welcome - somethimes women just don;t understand the Ram 50 MM Montero / Raider thing....
    Mine don't understand why I wanna work on my truck soooo much! Too much estrogen in the house!

Array
    Status
    Waynesboro, PA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by kla94 View Post
    Thanks for all the help. Just realized that I haven't setup my notifications, so I didn't know that you guys were leaving messages. Like I said, thanks a million for the help, but I purchased a weber and done away with all the crap! Just one problem, I can't get my throttle hooked up. I've tried what the instructions said, and tried twice to contact weber, guess the holidays has something to do with it.
    Yes, a Weber is much better - less vacuum lines to worry about.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Be sure to get the genuine Spanish made Weber, not the slightly less expensive Chinese license version, check the thread in Tuning/Smog for how to identify fakes. Buy cheap, buy twice, I got the less expensive one and it runs pig rich. The plastic fittings it came with are crap, too. Going to get a Spanish one.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Another tip, the 2.0 and the 2.6 like to overheat and blow heads, especially the 2.6. If you're mucking around with the fan shroud, consider upgrading to an aluminum or oversized radiator, and an electric fan pulling the most CFM you can find. And depending on the climate in Tennesse, consider running water and Water Wetter. Replace that water pump. You really can't cool these engines enough. You might get a nice power bump and better MPG with the electric fan, too, depending on your daughter's driving style.

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    Another tip, the 2.0 and the 2.6 like to overheat and blow heads, especially the 2.6. If you're mucking around with the fan shroud, consider upgrading to an aluminum or oversized radiator, and an electric fan pulling the most CFM you can find. And depending on the climate in Tennesse, consider running water and Water Wetter. Replace that water pump. You really can't cool these engines enough. You might get a nice power bump and better MPG with the electric fan, too, depending on your daughter's driving style.
    I know exactly what your talking about. The whole story behind this is that I got it from a guy I know that purchased it from someone else. The other people put a head gasket on it and it still ran hot. The guy I know tore it down to fix it and found a place in the head. He was going to scrap it. My daughter wanted a land rover, out of my price range. Took her to look at the montero, and she really liked it. So I got it and it's been sitting for awhile. Sent the head to headworks of nashville to be repaired. A month later got it back with a note that said they couldn't repair it. So talked to a guy with connections with motor parts and he was ordering me a head. He found two complete 2.6 engines for me for 400$. So I took two and made one. The blocks are different where the trans bolt on. Had to use the montero block and the other head. Anyway, sorry for the long post. I have had my toyota engine and carb all apart, but this has been a learning experience for me. Wish I found you guys earlier!

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B

Here's some pics of the montero.

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Most of the overheat issues are among a few things:

1. Clogged or partially clogged radiator.
    2. Broken heater hose under the dash or behind the intake manifold, or the water pump to bypass pipe hose...not normally changed like radiator hoses.
    3. Water pump impellers eroded away, and thus no flow.
    4. Closed thermostat.
    5. In some cases, folks change to the Starquest engine, and then turbo boost can affect the gaskets. Blew the headgasket on my MM this way, too many rooster tails in the pasture.
    6. Initial headbolt torque from Mitsubishi was too low. Later on, they modified the torque requirements.

When you're doing a head gasket, it is typical to replace the hoses mentioned, rod out the radiator, change the water pump, etc.

I love the earliest of the Monteros like yours, little quirky things that weren't continued after the 85 model year. I searched long and often for the split rear bumpers to install on my Raider. Someone sent me a pair out of the blue.

Underneath the front hub caps, I'm curious if you have locked manual hubs (most likely), or auto hubs?

Cheers!

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the info rxinhed. Plan on replacing all of the hoses. I didn't when I had the motor out because I wasn't sure of the condition of the engine or the head of the used engine. Just wanted to be sure the drive train and all was ok. Everything seems to be good. It has auto hubs and a limited slip rearend. It's in real good shape too! The hubs must be factory. There's a sticker on the driver's side door frame explaining that it's equipped with them and take to the mitsibishi dealer for service.

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Quote Originally Posted by kla94 View Post
    ...take to the mitsubishi dealer for service...
    The auto hubs are either a love or hate thing. I promptly replace them when I buy a driver Montero/Raider/Mighty Max. That's my own thing, though.

Thanks for sharing your pics, nice vintage Montero. Does the interior have chrome ends on the grab handles?

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for sharing your pics, nice vintage Montero. Does the interior have chrome ends on the grab handles?[/QUOTE]

Your welcome. It does have chrome ends on the grab handles.

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Looks like my montero is finally coming together. Got my oil switch for my fuel pump straightened out, got a fan shroud, and I got the stuff to put valve guide seals in. I should have put the seals in while I was putting the head on, but I wanted to see if it would even run and hold oil pressure. I didn't really know the history of it. So I slapped the head on with the intake and exhaust manifold all together and hoped for the best! Thanks for all the help guys. I was able to use the kickdown linkage from the original carb on the weber and with some adjustments it's working good, needs some fine tuning. It shifts good, just doesn't kickdown into passing.

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Do you have a pic of how the shroud lines up to your engine bay? There could be some difference between the early and late Gen I Montero bits; however, all the parts late 85 to 91 I've had have been similar. Does your radiator have the necessary mounts for a fan shroud?. Also, the shroud can be separated in half for fitment. Have you explored that avenue?

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    I had it apart. I'll get some better pics this weekend. It's in the teens right now!

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    The fan should be about 1" to 1.5" away from the edge of the shroud. The distance give the chassis ability to flex and not have fan impact. Secondly, the design is not such that a 'seal' is formed, just a hint of direction for the fan created breeze.

Your mail box is full.

Array
    Status
    Centerville,TN
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    The fan measures about 14 1/2" across. The opening in the shroud measures 19 1/2".

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    I'll measure the 4-cyl fans I have extra, perhaps one will work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast