Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type

89 Raider Questions...

Just picked up an 89 Raider for a great price, but have a few questions. It has the 3.0 V6 with 140K, 5 speed manual. I've just put on a new pair of 31 10.50's I had lying around, but plan on a set of 32's when these wear out. I checked the other day and it does not have LSD in the rear. I'd like to put one in but not sure which vehicles will bolt directly up. I've read posts about 2nd Gen Montero's bolting up, but then the next guy in the post says something different. I have a local salvage yard nearby that has a few mid 90's Montero's sitting there that I could pick off of. I also have the coil springs in the rear rather than leaf springs. Another odd question is... I would like an offroad bumper in the front but don't want to pay a fortune. There are a few on other vehicles in this same salvage yard. Are there any vehicles that come close to bolting up to the Raider's front bumper, Jeep, S-10, etc. Thanks for the input...
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

Engine

I added a pic of the Raider when I first bought it, then one of it as it sets now. Sorry the newer one is sideways...

Array
    Status
    st pauls nc
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

6G72
    Have read here and other sites that the rear from 94-96 Montero SR's will bolt in. Glad to see someone else in North Carolina on here. If you are in need of some parts for the Raider there is a 87 or 88 4 cylinder sitting near me that is being parted out. Same color as yours.

Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

Engine

Thanks for the info. Where are you at in NC?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the diffs from an 94-96 montero will not fit an 89 raider/montero - 89 monteros are 8" gears, 94-96 are 9" gears. the whole axle can be swapped, but the gear ratio is 4.63, and good luck finding 4.63 gears for the front of an 89 montero to match. an lsd from up to and including a 91 montero will work, or find the mitsubishi power brute lsds that are floating around new - pricey but may still be available
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    st pauls nc
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by BEARINGMAN View Post
    Have read here and other sites that the rear from 94-96 Montero SR's will bolt in. Glad to see someone else in North Carolina on here. If you are in need of some parts for the Raider there is a 87 or 88 4 cylinder sitting near me that is being parted out. Same color as yours.

sorry-should have elaborated. I had read that the COMPLETE rear end would swap, but only from the SR's.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to keep you from buying something you couldn't use. The montero sport rears should fit, but they usually have the same 4.63 gear issue
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    not trying to give you a hard time...
    If you find an LSD-equipped pumpkin from a Montero V6 (1989 to 1991), Dodge Raider V6 (1989 only), V6 Mighty Max, then you'll get 4.625 (aka 4.63)/coveted 4.875 gears with the SUV or 3.909/4.22 gears from the pickup. ALL the Gen I Montero/Raiders would have the same gear ratios front and rear, so there's no problem. Your Raider is most likely 4.625, and you can confirm this on the tag located in the right side, center area of the firewall.

The Gen II Monteros (US models 1992 to 1993-ish) had either 4.22 or 4.625 gears, but the pumpkins do not interchange with the Gen I. You could swap the rear axle assembly out and get the rear disk brakes. However, If you're going to swap out entire axle assemblies, you'd do well to use the aforementioned 1994-96 SR rear axle with the air locker, larger ring gear, disk brakes and upgraded lower control arms.

This is an often discussed topic on the Mitsubishi board at 4x4wire. I invite you to read up on the subject there, without cross-linking to those threads.

Cheers,
    Russell the Raider Guy
    montero_ranch@yahoo.com

Array
    Status
    st pauls nc
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

6G72
    The Gen II Monteros (US models 1992 to 1993-ish) had either 4.22 or 4.625 gears, but the pumpkins do not interchange with the Gen I. You could swap the rear axle assembly out and get the rear disk brakes. However, If you're going to swap out entire axle assemblies, you'd do well to use the aforementioned 1994-96 SR rear axle with the air locker, larger ring gear, disk brakes and upgraded lower control arms.

That is what I meant to say.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    unfortunately the yards know what that axle is and want 800 to a grand for it if you can find one.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    unfortunately the yards know what that axle is and want 800 to a grand for it if you can find one.
    Cali spoils me. The local Pick-n-Pull type wreckers get about $300 for the whole axle unit, vacuum pump, switches and wiring.

Array
    Status
    st pauls nc
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

6G72
    Check CL for Raleigh NC area. I saw a 94 SR for like 600.00. Complete, I think, bad motor. 202K miles