Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Key code

So I just stumbled across an interesting tidbit on the MMM group on FB, that I haven't found any prior mention of here on the forum:

Apparently the code to cut a brand-new key is stamped on the passenger side door lock. Can anyone confirm this? Gen1 or Gen2 or both? Seems like it may be a 4-digit code, possibly with a letter prefix.

I'd check it myself, but I literally just weeks ago reinstalled my passenger door trim card with all-new retainer clips, would hate to have to bust a bunch of those again, and/or damage any more keyholes in the card that they slot into, just to find out. Reckon someone here must already know the answer, or have a truck with the passenger door card already off who could check.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I still have one original MM key ~ there is a # stamped H2489

But same with my door card its intact not gonna tear it open :^))

Mitsubishi key blanks are still available from https://www.mitsubishipartscentral.com/ BUT I don't know if a key can be cut with using just the code #
    Last edited by xboxrox; 06-19-2021 at 06:56 PM.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Apparently the code to cut a brand-new key is stamped on the passenger side door lock. Can anyone confirm this? Gen1 or Gen2 or both? Seems like it may be a 4-digit code, possibly with a letter prefix.
    I have a pair of lock housings I removed from a Gen 2 truck years ago. Needed some internal pieces. I didn't mark which came from which side, but one is stamped with a five-character code, H0026. The other is blank.

Both housings had the same three-character code (U22) on one side. Probably to indicate they're a matched pair.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Riverside California
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    you are correct! the key code is on the passenger door lock, it is a 5 digit code starting with a letter and 4 numbers. I too am looking for the curtis industries code book.

Array
    Status
    Riverside California
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I am in Riverside California, when I find who can cut keys with the key code I will post it here. Does anyone have the code book? I have a curtis key cutter model #15 and the code book for Suzuki motorcycles from 1985.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    I still have one original MM key ~ there is a # stamped H2489

But same with my door card its intact not gonna tear it open :^))

Mitsubishi key blanks are still available from https://www.mitsubishipartscentral.com/ BUT I don't know if a key can be cut with using just the code #
    The H2489 is the code for YOUR key, if you go to a locksmith, they can look it up (will charge for lookup) and cut it from the saved keycode. As you mentioned, this code is stamped on OE keys
    Quote Originally Posted by d50Lewis View Post
    I am in Riverside California, when I find who can cut keys with the key code I will post it here. Does anyone have the code book? I have a curtis key cutter model #15 and the code book for Suzuki motorcycles from 1985.
    My local locksmith Norvac has cut starion keys for me from the code on the OE key