Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B

Fuel Pump Rewire Like The DSMers

So has anybody straight line grounded their fuel pump to the battery for increased flow the way the DSM'ers do?
    Here's a link to one VFAQ if you don't know what I'm talking about...

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/fwdwire.htm

I've searched the site and found no definite evidence of "yes". I see lots about converting from mechanical to electrical - seems lots to do about the Carb trucks. But what about the EFI guys? Looks like everybody goes straight to the DOHC turbo swap, am I right?

I'm not in a position to do the turbo swap right now so I'm trying to squeeze as much performance out of the stock motor as possible for as little money as possible. But a little more fuel flow from the rewire (especially if I upgrade the pump as well) with maybe a cone filter for a little more airflow to go with and I may have at least a few more Ponies/Pound-Feet. Can somebody with experience speak on this?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I have done the same rewire for Geronimo for my electric fuel pump by mounting the fuel pump relay about 1 foot from the pump, with a 12 GA wire from the battery to the relay, and a 12 GA wire back to the battery for ground. It solved the voltage drop issue I was seeing to the pump. Your idea should help give the max your pump can give - I have also put in a set of relays tied to the battery for the headlights for the same reason - eliminate the voltage drop.
    Last edited by pennyman1; 12-29-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    I have done the same rewire for Geronimo for my electric fuel pump by mounting the fuel pump relay about 1 foot from the pump, with a 12 GA wire from the battery to the relay, and a 12 GA wire back to the battery. It solved the voltage drop issue I was seeing to the pump. Your idea should help give the max your pump can give - I have also put in a set of relays tied to the battery for the headlights for the same reason - eliminate the voltage drop.
    Sweet! Got any pics?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Not at the moment - I can get them when I go to my buddies house which has a lift. Keep in mind Geronimo is a carbed truck, but this setup will still work for what you want to do.
    Last edited by pennyman1; 12-29-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    richmond, va
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63
    i'm not even sure of what you guys talk of as i have not experienced fuel shortages etc...what years does this occur in i have a talon 95 and 02 neon. The neon will cut fuel if certain conditions do not exist. this is the ecu...and pcu... circumventing an issue usually isn't good. Pushing your fuel pump harder is not gonna matter if your can't adjust your fuel pressure regulator or AFR...your just gonna stir up fuel more, as it would just return the over pressure back to the tank... which might actually boost performance a bit. A carburated engine, would just dump fuel into the engine, but is much easier to adjust afr...Just curious first i've heard of this. would love to buy a 4g63 truck...and these things sopposedly had them factory?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Voltage drop is what they are trying to fix and what the eclipses(DSMs) experience. It is mostly needed and becomes apparent when people start upping the boost on their turbod engines and the fuel pump can't keep up because of the voltage drop.

These trucks did not come with the dohc 4g63 like the dsms but a sohc carbed g63b

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    Actually found out I have very consistent 14.8v from the pump and, like Dropped said, I don't need to do the rewire. IDK if it's because of the ground wire system I "built" for my truck or not, but I just left well enough alone on this one.

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Iv'e never seen a need for this mod either. But alot of DSM guys do it to their cars, not that a mob mentality is correct, but it is not surprising it came up here.