Array
    Status
    Heber, UT
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63

TBI to EFI on 1989 2.0 MM??

Anyone out there done EFI conversion on their stock 4g63b? I'm in the process of a full rebuild and I'd like to do the swap now just because it will be easier. Not to mention I'd like to run a turbo with light boost in the future just for a little tease ha. There just aren't a lot of trucks that have the opportunity of being a true sleeper like a Mighty/D50 does. I have searched and found a lot of info on starion swaps and 2.6's.. I guess what I'm asking is what is necessary to get this little 2.0 some fuel injection? Do I need a 2.4 head? Can I swap top ends to make it easy? In other words what is the most simple way to convert my mighty to EFI? This site has always been good to me so I figured I'd take a stab at some performance info. Thanks in advance!

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    The most simple way is to swap in the 2.4 liter engine and use Megasquirt or something if you want to turbocharge it.

If you're a glutton for punishment, you could try working with a kit like this one:

http://www.ecotrons.com/400cc_to_800...e_EFI_kit.html

People have done blowthrough setups on Weber 32/36 and 38/38s before if you're more interested in turbos than EFI.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Good luck and let the board know what you find.

Array
    Status
    NY
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Use a 90's DSM ECU and harness, and 4G63T parts.

Should be close to bolt-on, if you don't mind a bit of custom fab for the injectors in the intake manifold.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    If you want to keep and use your stock g63b then get a 4g64 head and acc. and also the ecu and wiring for the motor. bolt it on and hook it all up and instant efi

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Would you have to switch to a fuel tank from an FI truck to get it to work?

Would that change compression?

Array
    Status
    NY
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    You just get an inline high pressure fuel pump from a Ford truck, and hook that to the fuel pickup, then route the return from the fuel rail to the tank return.

I'd stick with a 2.0 head and a 2.0 EFI setup, but that's just me.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    yea actually I forgot I don't think you need the 2.4 head just the intake/injectors/and all other acc plus the wiring and ecu

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    The 2.4 intake bolts up to the 2.0 head? Really?

EDIT, found this old thread. Interesting...

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...php/596-Fi-2-0

I have an '89 2.0, too, and now I'm really interested in this. Had no idea this was possible. Carbs are a pain in the neck...
    Last edited by noahwins; 10-26-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Array
    Status
    Heber, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    The most simple way is to swap in the 2.4 liter engine and use Megasquirt or something if you want to turbocharge it.

If you're a glutton for punishment, you could try working with a kit like this one:

http://www.ecotrons.com/400cc_to_800...e_EFI_kit.html

People have done blowthrough setups on Weber 32/36 and 38/38s before if you're more interested in turbos than EFI.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Good luck and let the board know what you find.
    I'm definitely more interested in the turbo but I don't want to do a blowthrough setup.. I know they work and what not but I can't stand the idea of anything but air running through my turbo.. I know it's a heavily debated subject with carburated engines but I'm just thinking if I'm going to do a turbo I'm going to do it the right way IMHO which is with fuel injection.. I'm just not sure of the best way to convert my little baby motor.. still haha