Status
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63

New user from Richmond, VA

Hello all,

Just registered for the site and happy to find some fellow MMM drivers.

I've been driving Mitsubishi for about 20 years now. Started out with a 1989 Van (2.4L fuel injected) and had about 5-7 vans before I sold my last one.

Switched to a 1987 Might Max truck and pretty happy with it but it's carburetor and that's not much fun. Over the years I've probably changed 10 timing belts and maybe 5 head gaskets and a lot of other stuff too so maybe I can add something to the knowledge base.

Mark

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the forum Bankdraft and sure we can help you here.

The stock carburetors are a pain in the butt and depending on your smog situation, everyone seems to swap them out for the Weber 32/36. There has been nothing but satisfaction from that point on. The range around $239.00 and can be installed in a few hours. Installation requires some smog items to be removed, but Weber gives this information with the instructions. Anyone can just about do the swap and it comes with all the parts too.

I own an '86 Mitsy MM and it has been with me since '87 and finally had to rebuild it a couple few months ago now. Though there are many others here that own and live with their trucks even longer then me. This forum has new some short term and way too long term truck owners.
    Most of all, there is always someone here that has had issues and problems with trucks that occur with anyone of them at anytime. Friendly & years of knowledge are present here so get yourself comfortable and explore the place. We have the most to offer the community and those that enter the forum stayed.

The timing belts should last between 60K and 80K depending on driving conditions. The reason for, if your asking about breakage needs more info for a pinpoint answer. Though they do break and usually melt taking out a timing cover at times. If you have interference valve train, better stay on top of the belts or your engine will be damaged upon breaking a belt and the valves kiss the pistons.

Head gasket issues, ohh we hear this a lot around here. There are ways to do your best to prevent these issues and it is a good idea to do them. Usually and very often the head will crack with this issue. I have replaced 4 2.0L heads in the day, the worst was a crack the entire length of the cam shaft to a hole the size of a quarter. Inferior casting metals, design, abuse, etc is the culprit to this with our trucks. Just like the exhaust manifolds, they need special care and most of all, Never get them too hot!!! I have switched to an electric fan, oversized radiator, and a watchful eye to my temp gauge. I can honestly say I have not over heated or blown a gasket or cracked a head in atleast 10 years now.(knock on wood)

Anyway, I'll leave you with this and your welcome to give us your knowledge as well as ask for some. Welcome to MightyRam50.net

Array
    Status
    mt veiw, hawaii
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Yes i am a new user as will.i have 2 i love those trucks never went.with out one i h.
    pe to to learn a lot IF U CAN'T DODGE IT RAM IT

Array
    Status
    Abingdon, VA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I am new here too. I am from Abingdon/Bristol VA so I am just a few hours away from you.