Array
    Status
    siouxcity iowa
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

engine identification

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me i.d. my 2.6 engine, what year it is. I have 2 engine sthat have different heads 1 has adjustable rockers and the other doen't. the one with the adjustable rockers has l shaped rings and the other has regular rings. Can anyone please help I need to order parts and not sure what year it is. I thought all 2.6's from 81- 89 were the same,apparently not.Are the pistons from a 87 to a 82 engine still work? thanks for any and all help.

Array
    Status
    siouxcity iowa
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I meant to say L type rings.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    On the front right top corner (passenger side) there is a stamp next to the head. It will say somthing like GB or somthing like that. They don't go by year. The stamp should match the plate on the fire wall behind the engine. Also you can look in the Wiki. We have a picture of nearly all engines and types.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    siouxcity iowa
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    On the front right top corner (passenger side) there is a stamp next to the head. It will say somthing like GB or somthing like that. They don't go by year. The stamp should match the plate on the fire wall behind the engine. Also you can look in the Wiki. We have a picture of nearly all engines and types.
    thanks,but the 87 ram 50 4 wheel drive truck i have has had a different engine put in it, parts lists say 81-89 the same and some say 83-89, so i know they made at least 2 different type of pistons in these as I have 2 different pistons in 2 different engines, 1 is L type ring and the other is regular.One motor says 52E on the rod with the piston 54, and the other engines rod says 52b and the piston says 54JP. I'm confused, are both motors balanced the same/ thanks

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    First thing to do is look at your block. Ignore what is on the part. It means nothing except to the manufacture. Product line numbers. Does it have a metal timing cover or a plastic belt cover. The only two engines they put in was a 2.0 or 2.6 If 2.6 then it should be a G54B I think. But the only way to be absolutely sure is to find the marking stamp on the head surface at the front of the engine.
    If thats not confusing enough you can swap heads from one engine family to others. So you must find that block stamp. It's on a wide spot on the front of the head surface.
    Take some pictures of it and put it up. Penny man can tell you what it is from the pictures. But there should be a plate on the fire wall that says what engine came in the truck. Unless someone changed it. We have seen all sorts of different things on these trucks. So nothing is a surprise any more. But the block numbers are the only way to tell. Parts are ordered via engine family. Year make and model only gets you in the ball park.
    As for balance if you have a machine shop spin balance it then you can use a balance shaft eliminator kit. Give them the flywheel and all rotating parts.
    G54B.jpg
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com