Array
    Status
    Bay Area Ca
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

88 mighty max stalling out while driving

Hey guys I have a 88 mighty max it has a brand new carb, new fuel filter, new cap plugs and plug wires. When I'm driving the truck (usually when it's cold) and I'm just cruising at a steady speed 35-45mph the truck cuts out and if I continue to gas it it will stall but if I let off and wait a few seconds I can give it some gas again but only for a few seconds then it does the same. When it's warm it doesn't do it every time but just every now and then. I've had to get on the freeway before and it just has no power when I floor it it feels like it's fighting but cutting on and off. Any advice is greatly appreciated I am plain and simply just stumped

Array
    Status
    Bay Area Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Anyone?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    check the vacuum hoses, especially the large one running from the carb to the box on the drivers fender - the box is the sensor for the computer controlled carb, and the hose gives the sensor a vacuum signal. The hoses rot or get eaten by critters. That leak will cause the issue you are having.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Bay Area Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thank you sir I will check it out

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    What's the mileage like? The only carbs I deal with are on small engines but your symptoms almost sound like you are getting too much gas, like the jet isn't the correct one. There are several posts on this site dealing with this issue, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me, like Pennyman, will chime in.
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    yep sounds like flooding to me too but it could be what Pennyman said. Pull the plugs and if they are black and fouled then its over fueling.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I had an 88 Ram 50 with a 2.6 and stock carb and it happened to mine. It decided to split on a road trip to Dayton Ohio to pick up the conquest motor I am now building - not a fun drive.
    Last edited by pennyman1; 12-10-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Sounds like a coil breaking down. The faster the RPM the higher the compression the higher the coil power out needs to be. Replace it.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    North Smithfield,Rhode Island
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I had the same problem On my 89 d-50. After I replaced the fuel pump and cleaned the carb it still would stall out. Then I replaced my caddilac converter which was clogged to shit and its running much better and hasn't stalled out yet. Still has a little trouble starting when its cold but that it

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Vacuum Advance, to the Carb...stalling, poor acceleration, timing...IMHO

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    lol, I luvit when we all give different responses. Roulette wheel diagnosis. Make sure there isn't a potato in your exhaust pipe,

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Is the new carb a Mikuni or a Weber?

Array
    Status
    North Smithfield,Rhode Island
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Okay so I am right back to where I started with the carb problems. It starts but I have to pump the peddle to get it going like crazy. Once started it just putters out and stalls. I thought the problem was fixed when I installed the new CAT. I dont know if this has anything to do with it or just coincidence. But I put some fuel cleaner in run it as suggested and then filled the 50 with high grade gas. Now its doing the same thing before I installed the cat. Starts like crap then stalls out. Someone also said too much fuel, that could be possible but not sure what to do. Do you think the high grade gas had something to do with it ????? Not sure what to do??? I'm going to check the hoses like pennyman said . But not sure what I'm looking for. Not a car guy just a D-50 lover and contractor. Please help !!!!

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    No, the high grade will have no effect on this engine. You need to get a fuel pressure reading at the carb to see if you are getting the correct amount of gas. A decent shop will do this pretty inexpensively and would take a lot of the guess work out. Did you put on a real Weber or is it a knock-off? There have been quite a few discussions on that topic recently. Good luck!
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Is your accelerator pump working properly. If you have to pump the crap out of it to get it running sounds like it's not getting that squirt down the barrels when initially hitting the gas pedal, fuel deprived.
    Anyway, fuel pressure is a great start like Lush90 mentioned. Hang in there....when you find out what it is I'm sure you will be kicking yourself in the butt for not noticing it before. Most the time owners find the problem and never mentioned that they did this to the engine leaving us scratching our heads.
    If you have a video camera and would like to take a video of your issue in action, go for it. Post it on you tube and then embed it in the forum. The better you can show us, the better we can jump on it to make an attempt to get you back on the road.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Is the choke setting properly for cold start? You should only push the pedal to the floor once, and the choke plate should go almost fully closed. After start up, tap the pedal to get it to drop to the first step. Chokes on these mikuni carbs can be a nightmare.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    how many posts did you post this under?

Array
    Status
    Manteca California
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    My truck does the same I have a Weber 38/38 and I'm thinking that it's the fuel filter by the tank it hasn't been cleaned out or run for five years I checked the vacuum advance on the distributor Steven swapped out distributors the coil is brand new plugs wires everything.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^is it running a electric fuel pump (high flow, low pressure - 2-3.5 psi/42 GPH), choke set correctly, fuel float set correctly?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function