Array
    Status
    McAllen, Texas
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55

New to the site. need some help

I have a 84 mitsu mighty max 4d55. It was given to me with a cracked head. I replaced the head with a new one and still low compression. I replaced the rings and lower end. still low compression. engine kinda starts with starting fluid. Not to familiar with these engines. want to do an engine swap. possibly 4.3 or small block mopar. I read that it has been done. just need the details. it is a 4x4. can i use the same trans on one of these engines. its 5 spd. don't know which road to take. i've already drop some money on the head, rings and bearings. I will be posting some of those parts online to sell. please advice. I want it to be on a budget. thanks

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    What was the compression reading. It sounds like the cam timing is off or the valves are not adjusted correctly. Double check the valve train.
    You must be a Donator to sell parts.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    McAllen, Texas
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55
    unfortunately i double checked the timing and the valve adjustments. several times and same thing. the compression was 190 in all cylinders. I am a little frustrated with it and kinda looking forward to the engine swap and just trying to find out which is easier and cheaper. as far as posting, i had notice that you have to be a donator. I had meant ebay. how do you become a donator? thank you very much for your response.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Go to the top of this page and hit "donate" in the red bar. It's a very helpful site, definitely worth contributing to.
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    190 compression? Seems high. Is that normal for your truck or was that a wet compression check? Are you using a weber carb? I'm sure your issue is a simple one, just need to go through the steps. Determine if it's a fuel or electrical problem and then hunt it down by elimination, unless your committed to V8 power. In this case, you could sell the motor to get you some extra cash for your swap, but nothing is going to just drop in for you. I'm sure each V8 and V6 person here is going to tell you that there is fabrication involved and expenses. Seems more like an art form to me the way these guys in here can make these exotic changes. Though, I think someday that I would like to go V8 also and hope that the fun driving it didn't wrap it around a tree.
    Anyway, you do have a great truck to make the change over on which ever direction you go. This forum has very experienced creators and fabricators and you won't find anyone in here that feels like they made a mistake by owning one of these trucks.

Welcome to the forum

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    the compression is low for a diesel, it should be around 300 psi