Array
    Status
    north carolina
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Exclamation Weber install problem

hey guys i installed my new weber yesterday and got it running great! but the problem im having now is oil is leaking out of the oil cap. it did not do this before the carb swap. i replaced the oil cap with no luck. this is my daily driver and i need it back up and running asap. can someone please help me figure out what it is.do i need to move the hose coming from the pvc valve to the air cleaner or leaving it going into the intake? could i have plugged a wrong vacuum port?

Array
    Status
    IL
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Check your oil, make sure its not above the high fill level and make sure it doesn't smell like gas. You want to make sure the carb isin't dumping fuel into the engine for some odd reason.

Disconnect the hose going to the PCV valve on the valve cover and make sure it there is vacuum from that hose. If it does have vacuum, run up to the parts store and get a new PCV (less than 5 bucks). If you can, take a picture of the engine so we can see how you routed your vacuum hoses?

I don't see how you can be building pressure by just doing a weber swap all of a sudden.

Did you do a electric fuel pump swap as well? Or are you running off of the stock mechanical fuel pump?

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I'm pretty sure you plugged the PCV hose 'port' on the intake manifold- this line goes from the intake right below the carb (between the carb and the head ON THE INTAKE) to the PCV valve on the front of the valve cover. The crankcase cannot breathe so now it is blowing the pressure out the oil filler cap. I could point to what you did but just retrace the steps you made on the install. You just need to route the PCV hose properly.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Yep. You must have the PCV line. It goes from the PCV Valve on the valve cover to manifold vacuum.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Stuarts Draft, Va.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    can someone post a pic pointing out the PCV and with proper hookup, ive never seen so many vacuum lines as these trucks have EVER. and any thing I can do to make sure im all hooked up right would be great! also having just replaced most of my vacuum lines yesterday im sure I screwed up somewhere, but shes still runnin and for now I aint complainin, but yes a reference pic would be awesome, thanks gurus!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Can you post up a picture of your truck engine so we can see what you got going. You should only have 2 lines to worry about. But here is some diagrams to look at tell you get us a picture. http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...-hose-diagrams
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    north carolina
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    hey guys sorry i have been busy with college and work. the pcv valve is still hooked up to the intake manifold i did not plug that. i pulled the old pcv valve out and it was crimped closed by a pair of pliers. im guessing from the previous owner but i dont know why. i replaced it and it slowed down the oil leak but its still leaking. i put the old oil cap back on because the new one was looser than the old one and didnt seem to seal good enough. yes i installed a electric fuel pump with the weber and im getting 3.5 psi to the carburetor. iv also run into a new problem. the plugs are white like its running lean but my fuel mileage has dropped from 25mpg with the old carb down to 14mpg with the weber. im stumped.

Array
    Status
    north carolina
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Also right before i done the carb conversion i replaced the timing belt and the balance shaft belt. in the process i noticed that the oil pump pulley and the crank pulley were not lined up with the marks so when i put the new belt on i got everything lined up like it should be. could this have something to do with it?

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 88maxine View Post
    hey guys sorry i have been busy with college and work. the pcv valve is still hooked up to the intake manifold i did not plug that. i pulled the old pcv valve out and it was crimped closed by a pair of pliers. im guessing from the previous owner but i dont know why. i replaced it and it slowed down the oil leak but its still leaking. i put the old oil cap back on because the new one was looser than the old one and didnt seem to seal good enough. yes i installed a electric fuel pump with the weber and im getting 3.5 psi to the carburetor. iv also run into a new problem. the plugs are white like its running lean but my fuel mileage has dropped from 25mpg with the old carb down to 14mpg with the weber. im stumped.
    Assuming your install was for a DGEV you are running too rich from the jets being too big or more likely the needle and seat is being over pressurized.

The 'out of the box' jetting should be just right for a 2.0 but too small for a 2.6. That's what my experience has shown me. I ended up with two DGEVs and the jetting came different out of the box simply because these carbs come for a slew of different applications for different makes for motors with varying displacements.

Just a hunch but I suspect that motor may not be healthy. (Blowing oil past the rings.) Why did the previous owner "crimp the PCV valve"? Keep that guy away from my truck LOL. Just saying. I am connecting the dots here and this sounds very fishy to me. Not sure what to say.

Where are you at in NC?

Array
    Status
    north carolina
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    from what im reading from the plugs its running to lean. im sure i can mess with it and figure out it but just wanted to see if anybody had some ideas. as far as oil blow by iv never had a problem with it smoking or leaking oil out of the cap before and the plugs have always had a nice tan color to them up until i done the weber swap. i know it sounds weird but its the truth. im in winston salem nc.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 88maxine View Post
    from what im reading from the plugs its running to lean. im sure i can mess with it and figure out it but just wanted to see if anybody had some ideas. as far as oil blow by iv never had a problem with it smoking or leaking oil out of the cap before and the plugs have always had a nice tan color to them up until i done the weber swap. i know it sounds weird but its the truth. im in winston salem nc.
    If you're in W-S then I may have exchanged a couple of messages with you via the Mighty Max FB group. May have been you, maybe not.

One of your other posts said the Weber you had was a DFEV which is a carb for a VW. That would explain why it is running so lean- I suspect that carb would be way too small. The model of the carb should be stamped on it's base. If it's not plainly visible, use a small mirror and flashlight to read it.

That could be your problem right there- that carb would be too small.

Array
    Status
    north carolina
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    no it was not me, i didn't even know such page exist. thanks for the answer. i got it to run perfect under2500 rpms but after it transfers to the main circuit it runs lean so i guess ill trash it and get the right carb.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    a dfev will work on these trucks if they are jetted right. The lean issue may be caused by a vacuum leak from the adaptor plates not being sealed to the manifold - squirt carb cleaner around the base of the carb and see if the idle changes. The PCV hose should be connected to the air cleaner, not the intake on an 88 motor.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980