Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: My g54b build

  1. #1

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-17-2012
    Posts
    158
    Location

    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B

    My g54b build

    So I have the engine on a stand back from machine shop where I had it all checked cleaned and bored. 40 over. The head got all redone as well but im thinking of having it port and polished. Other plans include as much arp bolts as I can get my hands on. It now has new pistons cant remember brand nothing fancy with stock rods. Other plans are performance cam from top end as well as a 38 weber and an electric fuel pump. Besides header which I will get later down the road is there anything you guys think I may be missing to get good potential out of motor? Oh im also gonna get the metal head gasket.

  2. #2

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-24-2011
    Posts
    305
    Location

    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

    1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    G64B
    Eliminate the balance shaft and get the flywheel lightened or get a aluminum flywheel, get a better ignition coil

  3. #3

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-17-2012
    Posts
    158
    Location

    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahtid View Post
    Eliminate the balance shaft and get the flywheel lightened or get a aluminum flywheel, get a better ignition coil
    Balance shafts are gone already. Gonna plug oil holes going to upper shaft. Where would I get a better flywheel? Yea ill get a blaster coil.

  4. #4

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-24-2011
    Posts
    305
    Location

    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

    1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    G64B
    You can take your old and have it lightened by 10 lbs by a machine shop or buy a aluminum flywheel for a chrysler conquest or mitsubishi starion.

  5. #5

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-17-2012
    Posts
    158
    Location

    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahtid View Post
    You can take your old and have it lightened by 10 lbs by a machine shop or buy a aluminum flywheel for a chrysler conquest or mitsubishi starion.
    What are the benefits of a lightened or aluminum flywheel?

  6. #6



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-26-2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Location

    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

    1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    4G63-T
    Engine spins up quicker with less rotating mass
    Josh
    09 BMW 335i E92 Twin turbo
    89 Macrocab 4g63 Turbo swapped & Bagged: Build Thread

  7. #7


    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-04-2011
    Posts
    685
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

    1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    Other
    Fidanza #161261 for a 87-89 Starion, Aluminum with Steel Clutch Ring, don't forget the Pilot Bearing


  8. #8



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-20-2011
    Posts
    4,115
    Location

    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

    1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    have the rotating assembly balanced and blueprinted - this matches the weights of each part to the lowest part of its type and is necessary when building up a non-balance shaft motor with a lightened flywheel. Look in our manual section for the mopar performance guide section on the mitsubishi engines - lot of good info on porting the head and other details about the early 2.0 and 2.6 motors.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

  9. #9

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-17-2012
    Posts
    158
    Location

    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    have the rotating assembly balanced and blueprinted - this matches the weights of each part to the lowest part of its type and is necessary when building up a non-balance shaft motor with a lightened flywheel. Look in our manual section for the mopar performance guide section on the mitsubishi engines - lot of good info on porting the head and other details about the early 2.0 and 2.6 motors.
    So I would need to take the crank and rods back out of motor to get balanced?

  10. #10


    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-04-2011
    Posts
    685
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

    1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    Other
    Yes...

  11. #11

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-17-2012
    Posts
    158
    Location

    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    Yes...
    That sounds like a pain in ass. Just
    crank rods and pistons? What do they generally charge for that?

  12. #12


    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-04-2011
    Posts
    685
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

    1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    Other
    Crank, Rods, Pistons, Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Harmonic Balancer/Front Pulley. bring the Rings also for weigh in/total Piston weight.

    last time it cost $130

  13. #13

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-17-2012
    Posts
    158
    Location

    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    Crank, Rods, Pistons, Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Harmonic Balancer/Front Pulley. bring the Rings also for weigh in/total Piston weight.

    last time it cost $130
    Ok cool. Thanks guys. Looks like I have some parts I need to buy.

  14. #14


    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-26-2011
    Posts
    201
    Location

    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

    G54B
    Does such a decrease in flywheel weight affect the torque? Had heard that lightening the flywheel mass would affect "pull power" and such a flywheel would generally be used on a sports car as opposed to a truck or is the amount that is reduced not significant enough for such a reduction? JB used to sell a lightened flywheel back in the day.

  15. #15



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-20-2011
    Posts
    4,115
    Location

    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

    1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    It changes the spool up of the motor to make it spin up faster, and it will drop faster too, requiring you to keep the revs up while coasting. More beneficial for race cars than trucks if the amount of weight removed is significant from stock like going to a 12# flywheel from a 26# flywheel. Lightening the stock flywheel will do well to help spool up without causing a fast drop off - Geronimo has had a lightened stock flywheel for 25 years now without a problem.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

  16. #16


    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-26-2011
    Posts
    201
    Location

    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

    G54B
    I'm getting ready to do the clutch and trans pan bolt repair. Is there someone reputable who does the stock flywheel weight removal for our engine? I think I could lay up the truck inside the shop (he has a pretty large one to have it done if the turnaround was a week or so).

  17. #17

  18. #18


    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-04-2011
    Posts
    685
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

    1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    Other
    Any good machine shop in your area can handle that for you.

  19. #19


    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-26-2011
    Posts
    201
    Location

    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

    G54B
    I've done a search and can't seem to come up with the manual. I'm not that computer literate as you all saw with the difficulty in posting the info to get the Power Brute / Auburn LSD. How do I find this manual. I searched Mopar Performance Guide and Mopar Performance. I would like to read and or buy this manual. Thanks.

  20. #20

  21. #21

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-17-2012
    Posts
    158
    Location

    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    I'm gonna have top end performance do my stock flywheel lightening

  22. #22



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-20-2011
    Posts
    4,115
    Location

    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

    1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Any machine shop that does flywheels can lighten our truck flywheel, they just grind the other side of the disk. It isalso a good idea to have them balance the flywheel after to ensure smooth running.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

  23. #23

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-17-2012
    Posts
    158
    Location

    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Any machine shop that does flywheels can lighten our truck flywheel, they just grind the other side of the disk. It isalso a good idea to have them balance the flywheel after to ensure smooth running.
    I may have to look around Tucson Arizona. The machine shop I had to motor work doesn't do flywheels and I want them to do other balance work. I don't know any other shops around here. I only heard good from one I went to.

  24. #24



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    07-24-2012
    Posts
    2,357
    Location

    Washington State
    Vehicle

    1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    G63B
    Strange, my machine shop did my flywheel for my rebuild, yet they would not remove a bearing from a rear axel, lol. Something about them flying around the shop and sticking in the wall.
    Did you ask your guy where to get it done. They must get asked every time they rebuild a motor I would think. Same machine that does the head can do the flywheel, so they must not want to tie up the grinding machine or ruin it. Check a brakes shop, they have the tools to do this most of the time with disk brake rotors coming in.
    Another place to ask is a hotrod performance shop. With all the request they must get on performance changes they must know of one. Tell them the flywheel is for a 65 Corvette Coupe and watch them jump on that shit.

    Don't forget to post an image of the flywheel if you get it's weight reduced.

  25. #25

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-17-2012
    Posts
    158
    Location

    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Strange, my machine shop did my flywheel for my rebuild, yet they would not remove a bearing from a rear axel, lol. Something about them flying around the shop and sticking in the wall.
    Did you ask your guy where to get it done. They must get asked every time they rebuild a motor I would think. Same machine that does the head can do the flywheel, so they must not want to tie up the grinding machine or ruin it. Check a brakes shop, they have the tools to do this most of the time with disk brake rotors coming in.
    Another place to ask is a hotrod performance shop. With all the request they must get on performance changes they must know of one. Tell them the flywheel is for a 65 Corvette Coupe and watch them jump on that shit.

    Don't forget to post an image of the flywheel if you get it's weight reduced.
    That's the problem. The shop I was going to works mainly with the high end high horse race motors. So messing with my motor they just don't wanna put the effort I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •