Array
    Status
    South, South
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G15

Constant Power

I pulled an after market radio from the dash and replaced with a newer unit that I had lying around. When I popped everything in I realized quickly that the constant power was not giving me any power at all. My ignition power works fine so i tied them together and you know how that goes ... every time i kill the power I lose all my settings etc.

HERE IS MY QUESTION ...

Would i be asking for trouble if I use the power going to the cigarette lighter for my constant power. All I believe it would use it for is to save the settings and to run the unit when the ignition switch is off. I will remember to turn the ignition to on if I use this setup though.
    Does anyone know if this cause any issues?

Thanks
    AFF

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It shouldn't be a problem if it's hot all the time? (mines not). But the constant power your needing is for the clock and memory only. Some trucks did come with clocks above the radio (first gen) where the little good for nothing cubby hole/pocket is. Since your right there, did you see any extra wires with empty plugs? if so use a ohm meter to see if there hot.
    You might want to save the cigarette lighter for your phone changer?

Array
    Status
    South, South
    Vehicle

Engine

4G15
    I am sure I could find some numbers but I figured the outlet should hold a charging cell phone and the constant hot wire for the radio, but i could be wrong!
    I was trying mainly to keep from having to steal from the fuse panel. I will test the outlet to see if it is constant hot or just with the ignition but i keep forgetting to see.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    There might be an inline fuse in the radio constant power wire,check that first. worst comes to worse just run a 12-14 gauge wire to the battery and put in a 10 amp fuse.

Array
    Status
    South, South
    Vehicle

Engine

4G15
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    There might be an inline fuse in the radio constant power wire,check that first. worst comes to worse just run a 12-14 gauge wire to the battery and put in a 10 amp fuse.

Haha I know ... I was trying to be lazy I guess. I was hoping there was something I was not seeing. I will look again soon and see if I can find a fuse on that line ... it was make sense given that it is a direct battery link.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You will have to add a constant power wire - just run it off of the high beam circuit from the fuse panel. Take it from the side after the fuse.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Rockledge, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I hooked mine up on the clock plug. There is a constant and a ground that isn't on the dimmer switch

Array
    Status
    South, South
    Vehicle

Engine

4G15
    I'll have to dig around in the dash this weekend to see what power I can find.

My truck did not come with a clock but I have the little dash cubbie hole right beside the instrument cluster lid ... would there still be power behind there? If so I can easily still that power! I'll look into a direct fused battery connection or a fuse panel line also!

I thought my dash speakers were just blown but when I pulled the covers and realized it was shipped without any speakers installed. There is a metal tab screwed into the hole where a screw would secure the speaker and the negative connector is attached to that ... smart thinking.

Anyways I ordered some 3.5" 2-way speakers I can fit into the slot even though they are 4" ... I can make that work! I bought some 6.5" for the doors and I am thinking about a dual 8" box behind the seat for now.

Thanks for the awesome replies and info!

Array
    Status
    Rockledge, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    If u pull the cubby piece, the connector should be attached to that. If I get time I'll check what colors I used for my radio. The clock connector has 4 wires going to it

Array
    Status
    South, South
    Vehicle

Engine

4G15
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsnewdirection View Post
    If u pull the cubby piece, the connector should be attached to that. If I get time I'll check what colors I used for my radio. The clock connector has 4 wires going to it
    Thanks bobsnewdirection! I'll try that just as soon as it's back from the shop ... I have a set of dash and door speakers to drop in it as well ... excited to be able to drive it and listen to some tunes ...

Thanks!
    I'll let you know if I find any wires when I pull it!

Array
    Status
    Rockledge, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Sorry, I forgot to check earlier. It's black with red stripe is power, black with brown spots is ground. Also, I got 6x9s to fit above the seatbelt retracter behind the seat. The little 6in square dent is deep enough to install speakers in. Most people put 6in rounds, 6x9 is as big as u can go. I think I have pics in my build thread mighty max 2