Array
    Status
    Heber, UT
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63

Crank Pulley Removal??

I am doing a balance shaft eliminator kit (on a 4g63b) and got stopped the other day when I got to the crank pulley removal. I put the truck in gear so that the motor would not turn as I applied pressure to remove the pulley bolt and the thing is just so tight I can't get it off. So I borrowed my buddy's air impact to try to get it off but that failed also (mainly because my compressor didn't have enough juice). . How do I get this thing off!? HELP haha. Thanks guys

Array
    Status
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    you need a chain wrench then and a breaker bar. Use a rag between the pulley and the chain wrench so you don't damage the pulley.

Array
    Status
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    also I don't think think you need to mess with the center bolt, might have four 10mm bolts inside the actual pulley to get it off.

Array
    Status
    Chennai and TN
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    use chain wrench and a breaker bar.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    NO CHAIN WRENCH, you will be trying to shear the wodruff key and bolts that way. The 4 10MM bolts hold the Harmonic balancer to the Cam belt sprocket, take them out. hit them with the penetrating oil. The 19MM in the middle holds the Cam sprocket to the Crank

Array
    Status
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    thats what I thought. air gun should take those off pretty easy even if you don't have a strong compressor. even hand tools will do the trick then.

Array
    Status
    Heber, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    I was working on it at night so I'm not even gonna lie I never even saw the four bolts. I'm embarassed haha. Wow. Ok so I don't even need to mess with the center bolt? Will I need a pulley puller to get the pulley off once I get the four bolts out?

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Nope should fall off, might have to persuade it a bit if there's some corrosion. The roll pin on the Cam sprocket indexes the timing mark. The cam sprockets are held to the crank by the BIG bolt in the center.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iyxH...3fTnQ51sTfIeYw

We also have a ton of manuals here on site to use.
    Last edited by BradMph; 09-25-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Array
    Status
    Heber, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Thanks for the video Brad that's what I needed to know because I do have to remove all of the pulleys in order to get the plate off of the front of the motor. So now let's get to the purpose of the roll pin. I had already taken mine out and I have yet to make it back to the shed to work on the truck. Before I take the pulleys off do I need to mark where the roll pin is or anything? I guess I'm just wondering what purpose it serves. Thanks for all the help fellas. I appreciate it big time

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    The roll pin indexes the Harmonic Balancer for the timing mark, you shouldn't take it out. No reason to.

There isn't any reason to take off the "Big Bolt" holding the Belt pulley's to the crank.

Array
    Status
    Heber, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iyxH...3fTnQ51sTfIeYw

We also have a ton of manuals here on site to use.
    This is exactly what I needed. You DO have to take off the crank pulley to pull off the water pump plate (or whatever you may call it). If you do not take the pulley off you'd never be able to pry the plate off for the removal of the balance shafts. Anyways the good news is with the help of this video I was able to get my crank pulley off. I did not use drill bits but instead used a dowel pin that fit the hole and it worked beautifully. Thanks all!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Glad to hear your moving forward. Just take your time and check your manual and ask questions if you need to. After you finish you will be a pro.
    Like Mike said, the pins stay in..no need to remove any of them index pins to do what you need to do. The less you take apart, the less you have to re-install.

Array
    Status
    Heber, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Glad to hear your moving forward. Just take your time and check your manual and ask questions if you need to. After you finish you will be a pro.
    Like Mike said, the pins stay in..no need to remove any of them index pins to do what you need to do. The less you take apart, the less you have to re-install.
    I can't thank all you fellas enough! I've always worked on Ford trucks and cars so this is a whole new world for me and having all your help has been huge! It's just about done at this point now. I had to take my Dremel to one of the balance shafts because it had become oblong due to a bearing failure. The newly oval balance shaft wouldn't slide through the front bearing ha so I had to grind it from underneath until I removed enough material to slide it out. Now it's just a matter of putting it all back together!

Array
    Status
    Heber, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Got it all put back together, ran it, and put put puttt.. It broke down. It still turned over fine so I figured whatever it was wasn't totally major. I let it sit forever.. As you can imagine it was a little on the discouraging side. Well, I could no longer take the sight of it out in the field. Now that it's warming up here I decided I'd break it down and diagnose it. Sure enough it was a single nut on one of the old countershaft pulleys. It had come off and destroyed the brand new timing belt I had just bought. So, I put it all back together with another new timing belt and loctite on the new nut (as well as some creativity on tightening the nut). Luckily that pulley has a sort of keyed shaft so I was able to get a big set of channel locks over the pulley to hold it all still while I tightened it. It's all back together now and running like a gem! I'm so happy to be done with it and on to some less minor projects.