Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Oil Burning?!?

OK HATE admitting this, but my engine has used/burnt 1+ qt of Amsoil 10w40 European formula (for e36 M3) oil! . Then I noticed SMOKE, and LOTS of it! SO after reading lots of posts, and the POwner said (and showed evidence of oil and other servicing), I'm thinking Valve seals... The motor has great power, (esp after my cooling mod! hehe j/k ; after changing to Amsoil, it was fine. SO, what valve seals last longest (I have 169,000 miles on it now). Put LOTS of miles on my vehicles! Just redid front shocks, suspension, and disc brakes! MUCH better! So, do the crappy valve seals cause all this BS? Thanks!Tommy

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    synthetic oil and old valve guide seals do not mix - the oil will flow right by them. Use Viton seals to get the oil consumpton under control. Also check the valve cover gasket and any other gasket on the head for oil leaks.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    Yeah change the valve seals it's a common thing on older japanese vehicles,

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks guys! It runs too good to be rings (plus NO blowby/blowback with oil cap off). ANy favorites? Viton for sure. WHo makes them? Rock auto has some "improved design" ones for 10-12.00 a set of 8, are these the ones? The cost is negligible to amount of labor. I never did the air in cylinder to avoid removal of head and timing cam labor, but want to on this! Source for air into spark plug hole thingy? does this work, anyone? My brother suggested that "Engine Restore" which I was skeptical of (seems it'd just stop up oil filter, to me), and especially re valve seals, but WTF, so I tried it. NO DICE! Waste of $, IMHO. At least for my issue. Any other gaskets or stuff to do (seal(s)? or the rubber 1/2 circle thingy (comes with the gasket kit I ordered, I think). Ordered a timing belt and pulleys/tensioner and balance belt with accessories as well, while in there. Thanks everyone for ALL the help. I'm going diesel eventually, but still want the engine right, in case I sell it, or turbo it at a later date. Another reason to repair oil burn, would lower octane and cause preignition issues if boosted!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I have run Restore for years in various vehicles with great results - but it does nothing for bad seals as you found out. All you are replacing with the seals are good insurance, but check your rear main seal on the motor to be sure it is not leaking from the Amsoil in the crankcase.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980