Array
    Status
    Horsham, PA
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

5-lug conversion?

So I am looking for more information on a 5-lug conversion. I basically want to swap whatever is possible from my 1987 Chrysler Conquest to a 2.6l mighty max/ram 50.
    Is it possible to convert the truck to a 5-lug using the parts from the conquest? I really haven't been able to find any information. I know that the toyota 5-lug swap seems to be very common.

Array
    Status
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    I have been wondering about this myself, fronts seem easy enough. Question is how to do the rears?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    either swap the rear end with a toyota truck rear, or redrill the rear axles and drums. Others have used explorer or 8 3/4 a body mopar rear ends
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    83-87 7.5" ranger axle is what I used. The axle is 1.5" wider then stock (3/4" a side) so when I went to the 5 bolt rims (15x7 originally) I went with a 42mm back space.With the Toyota fronts and the Ranger rear the wheels are the same track width. When I did the rear originally I just went to my local spring manufacture and got 2 new leaf spring mounts, Cut off the old ones, centered the axle and welded the new mounts in (Coat $7 a mount). After that I took the back part of the drive shaft in to have it cut down a little and a ford flange welded on ($45 with new U-joint). The rear brakes can be upgraded from the rangers 9"x1.5" to an 87 Aerostar's 10"x2" Drums by switching then backing plate and getting new shoe's and drums.You can use old one's from the Aerostar you get the plates from but I don't like using used brake parts.The ranger axle comes in 3 gear sizes 3.45,3.73 and 4.11's with 2 styles of posi Auburn and Clutch style (if you can find a truck with one). The other thing you need to do is get new brake lines to convert from metric to imperial.All I did for that was got 2 pieces of line with the imperial fitting on it already then cut off one end and then cut the factory line for the metric fitting. Put the metric fitting on the new line and flaired the line again, total cost for break lines $14.

You might think the 7.5" axle is a little weak but behind my 300+ hp 302 I have not had a problem with it in the 6 years I've been bagging the hell out of it. The same axle was in the 79-86 Mustang 5.0.Granted I'm doing a rebuild but as it sat for 12 years with no oil in it I have rust on the gears and one of the bearings is starting to make noise. New Ring, Pinion, and master rebuild kit is under $300.

Array
    Status
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    did you have to change the valves in the brake master cylinder at all? what about something with rear disc brakes?

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    Interesting what can be thought out by upright skin land mammals that long to re-invent, convert, transform, and scrounge.
    Acetylene torch held high.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Master Cyl, P-valve, frame lines, are still all stock. If you want a disc brake you can "try" and find a Lincoln from the early 80's as they did have a 7.5" in a few of them. You can also look for an 8.8" Ford as disc brake conversion's are avalible from a ton of manufactures. I'm not sure about axle width's but you might look at an 88 Aerostar, or a Mustang as I know the 88 up Rangers are 3.5" wider then the stock Mits axle.If you want something really different then look at a 89-96 T-Bird or Cougar as the rear is independent.

Array
    Status
    Garden Valley, CA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    I read somewhere you can get the axles out of the Mitsubishi van and swap those and the brake drums and then you'll have 5 lug