Thread: Dual carbs???

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6

autolite inline 4 barrel carb. there has to be another one like it, its basically just a couple 2 barrels stuck together. imagine how easy it would be to set up throttle linkage!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Mitsubishi did change their intake manifold design. If you look at Astron I intakes, the runners were pretty short and unevenly matched compared to the Astron II. There isn't a lot of room to add a complex and long intake runner on a 4G5X engine, but EFI on the 4G64 changed the layout enough to have a 2 piece intake with long curved runners. If you can't alter the intake runners due to space limitations, use a longer intake pipe (something I've been recommending to do for ages) I still want to get the lower half of a 4G64 intake, lop off the remaining runner tubes and weld up some alloy pipes for bike carbs.

Salteen - what is that dual down draft set up from?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Chrysler's famous 413 engine long tube intake with dual quad carbs ~
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/engi...ars-max-wedge/

~ it went in Dodge trucks too ~ stop fiddling around 'n head to the junk yard for one of these puppies then make it fit

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Basically, longer runners tend to improve low-end torque at the expense of high-end max HP, and shorter runners do the opposite (which is why some race cars have carbs bolted directly to the head or nearly so), but other factors come into play for determining the optimal length for each purpose, such as resonance and intake-pulse timing, etc.

This is the principle behind variable-length intake manifolds, such as the OG Ford Taurus SHO V6 with that "nest of snakes" intake having a pair of differing-length runners for each cylinder that would switch over above a certain RPM.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Mitsubishi did change their intake manifold design. If you look at Astron I intakes, the runners were pretty short and unevenly matched compared to the Astron II. There isn't a lot of room to add a complex and long intake runner on a 4G5X engine, but EFI on the 4G64 changed the layout enough to have a 2 piece intake with long curved runners. If you can't alter the intake runners due to space limitations, use a longer intake pipe (something I've been recommending to do for ages) I still want to get the lower half of a 4G64 intake, lop off the remaining runner tubes and weld up some alloy pipes for bike carbs.

Salteen - what is that dual down draft set up from?
    yes a longer pipe would help tremendously. use some rubber hose and you can tune the length on a dyno till its about right, then build your intake from that.

Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Chrysler's famous 413 engine long tube intake with dual quad carbs ~
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/engi...ars-max-wedge/

~ it went in Dodge trucks too ~ stop fiddling around 'n head to the junk yard for one of these puppies then make it fit
    yes, and the B383 and a select 361 engines had them too! (not the RB383, that was a crossover engine for the 413. theres 2 383 engines the B383 was the one in cars like the charger, road runner, etc the RB383 was in the windor sedan of the late 50's)

a big issue arises in junk yard searching. no one has these intakes at all. but paul here has hoarded some very rare and classic car parts, such as a 429 SCJ, 3 462 lincolns, a couple 400B engines, a cast iron 4 speed ford T18, a zf5, a 1970 460, and tons of intakes and carbs, factory headers and manifolds. among my collection i have a 413 long runner intake. i dont want to cut this peice up and i know damn well it wont fit. so if i ever tried to make it fit i would have to mount is in a "slant six" fashion, bend up a new shifter, and then maybe i can fit a long tube intake on. sounds like fun, maybe ill find another dodge 50 with the 4 banger and swap my 2.6/ 5 speed in, and then ill build it up like that.

its nice to talk but i need to plan it thorough. however i have engine simulation software so in the mean time, i can formulate how much power it should make and where.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    oh another thing. chrysler big blocks have paired ports for the intake that "snake" around the pushrod. so you would have to make an adapter of sorts if you ever hoped to mount that bad boy up and youll need to cut a section of the truck out. by then its best to make a copy of it.

maybe someone could try a ford inline 4 carb? that would be wicked, its 850 cfm total flow though so someone will have to have a serious engine possibly forced induction before its necessary. still would be cool to see that.

put a long tube efi system on my 3.8? now that would be sick!

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    wow that is one strange piece..! (the Autolite inline four barrel carb)

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Looks like that carb was made to loophole a "single four-barrel carb" rule in SCCA Trans-Am racing at the time:
    https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...n-this.862697/
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Looks like that carb was made to loophole a "single four-barrel carb" rule in SCCA Trans-Am racing at the time:
    https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...n-this.862697/
    indeed it was. but it still works great!

4 40mm motorcycle carbs flow 667.2 at 1.5 inches vaccum and 943.138 at 3 inches. extremely way too much carb. if you want throttle response you could run dual single barrels from a straight six like a dodge 225, ford 300, or a chevy 292. of course shared plenum and long runner to help torque.

875 and 943 are way too much carb (although the autolite inline 4 was rated as a 2 bbl, it actually only flowed like a 618.8 cfm. there is a boss 429 version too, and it had larger venturies, dunno the cfm)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123