Thread: Missing fan shroud for 1991 Ram 50 2.4L - Anybody got one, or how to make one?

Array
    Status
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Missing fan shroud for 1991 Ram 50 2.4L - Anybody got one, or how to make one?

Title says it all. My son got his driver's license as soon as he turned 16, and soon thereafter bought himself a base model 1991 2.4L Ram 50 for $650 and with his substantial cache of lawn-mowing money, proceeded in earnest to fix it up. Neither of us has the experience, knowledge or tools to do the big stuff, so we let the garage handle that, while we did what we could. I found the "To the New Owner" checklist at this site, and it looks like we got everything covered, especially since we eventually had to give up on the engine and had the garage put in a remanufactured long block. One thing that has consistently eluded us, however, is the fan shroud. None of the junkyards around here have one, everybody I talked to said they are pretty rare, and I've scoured eBay at least 7 times. The checklist says find a Montero shroud, but no love there either.

So I found and now turn to the fine folks on this forum. If anybody has a spare they'd be willing to part with, let me know how much you want for it, but if you have any advice for making one out of sheet aluminum, I'm all ears. I have the cutters, bending tools and a rivet gun, I've also got a few ideas how one could be put together. We'll also need to know the size and thread pitch of the bolts that hold the shroud on. Can't find it in the repair manual (we acquired a set of the factory manuals).

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If you have the tools, by all means make your own.

Take that bucket of bolts you have laying around and find some that thread on. Guess off the top of my head is it will be a 10mm bolt with 1mm pitch and about 1cm long.

Array
    Status
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    OK, I found one shroud but it's in New York (I'm in Bremerton, WA) and the junkyard wants $100 for it. No dice. I got a 3' x 3' aluminum panel at the local Home Depot. My son and I finally got the truck back from the shop and took some measurements. I am suspecting the radiator is an after-market, because it is secured on by angle-iron brackets. The mounting holes aren't threaded, just holes in some flanges hanging off the sides of the thing, so we'll just get some 5/8" bolts and nuts and call it good. My original idea to build the shroud as a pyramidal cone was also scuttled as the fan is off-center of the radiator (diagrams in the manuals confirm this), so we are going with simply boxing it out 1-1/4" and running a collar around some tabs cut and bent up from inside the main hole. I have worked up some CAD drawings if anybody is interested. This is a custom build, so I don't imagine they'll be all that useful, except as an example of what can be done. We got a cardboard mock-up done and confirm it fits pretty well, except for a corner we had to flatten because the bottom hose comes across that corner, and we don't want anything rubbing. We'll be doing the real thing tomorrow. I'll put up pictures if we have patience to take any

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Did you check all the pick and pulls up there. You have 3 in the area. Someone must have one.
    Or try here.
    http://www.msrecycling.com/
    You can also just get a new radiator from Rockauto. There not that bad and it should be fine with out it.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Believe me, I checked everywhere. We have a local pull-a-part yard that has connections to lots of places, and the closest B&R has a whole chain of yards on the west coast. The response I got was from submitting a request on http://www.junkyarddog.com, which I've never used before, but hey, they found me what I was looking for, even if I didn't go with their offer.

The shroud we made from sheet aluminum is now on the truck and performing well. We had to do it in two pieces to get it to fit (the original is split into top and bottom pieces, we did left and right), and the overlaps were vibrating until we sheet-metal screwed them together (can't rivet it unless we want it to be permanent ). Hopefully this will last the remaining lifetime of the truck, and if not, I still have the plans.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I have one, it's a metal 2 piece. Little rusty but message me and I'll help ya out. I was originally from Yakima, WA